Tech Support Forum banner

USB stick fell in water

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  britechguy 
#1 ·
So as the title says, my USB just fell in water. What is the best I can do? It wasnt connected or anything, it fell from the desk.

#7 ·
Not that the rice will harm anything, but I have not found it to be particularly useful, either.

If you are living somewhere where the interior of your car is getting warm to hot these days, I'd be far more inclined to put it in the car for a day or two (and not in direct sun).

If it's already in a bag of rice, leave it there, but put it in the car. I'd also open the zip a tiny bit if it's in a ziplok bag and position the bag so you won't have a rice spill.

I've had to dry out things far more complex than a USB thumb drive (think Palm Pilot, back in the day) and there is nothing like the heat of a hot car to both speed up the process as well as make sure it's thorough. You just don't want it to bake in direct sunlight (though, in the case of a thumb drive, unless you live in Arizona or similar climate it probably wouldn't matter).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.