Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

User Tag List

External Hard Drive recognised but not "seen"

This is a discussion on External Hard Drive recognised but not "seen" within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have windows 7 i recently bought a 1TB hard drive for media files -i wanted to use this hard

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have windows 7

i recently bought a 1TB hard drive for media files -i wanted to use this hard drive with my PS3 to watch videos but realised that it needed to be FAT32 format - so I reformatted my hard drive from NTFS to FAT32 in DOS - which seemed to go fine - now i want to put media onto my hard drive but it doesn't appear in "my computer" i have read some forums and most suggest to go to disk management and allocate a letter to my hard drive but it also does not appear in there.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

If the drive is not showing up in Disk Management, then either the USB Controller in the Enclosure has failed or the HDD has failed.
In the future, when you need to format a HDD or convert it, do so in Disk Management.
You can remove the HDD from the enclosure and attach it via a USB Adapter or put it in another USB Enclosure with a power adapter.
Can you attach a screen shot of Disk Management window with the drive attached?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Please see attached print screen of the device appearing in "devices and printers" and not in "disk management" and also i would have formatted the hard drive in disk management but it wouldnt allow me to change it to FAT32 - thats why i wrote it in DOS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HDD Printscreens.pdf (196.9 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

If you were formatting in Disk Management, then you could choose FAT32 or NTFS.
Try Partition Find and Mount and see if that helps. Partition Find and Mount: Download
You can also re-format it in a 3rd party utility like mini tool partition manager. Free download Magic Partition Manager Software, partition magic alternative, free partition magic, partition magic Windows 7 and server partition software - Partition Wizard Online
Old 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Downloaded Acronis - doesn't seem to have picked up anything different to what my disk manager picked up unfortunately.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Acronis Screenprint.pdf (104.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

OK, since Acronis didn't work for you, try the software I suggested in post #4
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

once installed the mini partition tool wont open - it just says an error has occurred and then closes the program..
Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Download the ISO image for Minitool partition Manager. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD to manage the partitions.
Closed Thread