Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

User Tag List

External hard drive has stopped working on TV

This is a discussion on External hard drive has stopped working on TV within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all. I've had a Seagate external HD working fine with our Samsung TV for years but today it has

Like Tree1Likes
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 01:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all. I've had a Seagate external HD working fine with our Samsung TV for years but today it has stopped. The EHD works fine hooked into my PC and when I plug it back into the TV, I can hear the drive start up but the TV menu is no longer showing it as an option to play from.

I initially assumed the 2 USB ports on the TV may have malfunctioned but when I tried putting a 16gb stick into them the TV detected it as normal. I also tried replacing the cable between the EHD and TV but that made no difference.

If anyone has experienced anything similar or has any suggestions as to what may have caused this, I'd be grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 05:40 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

A hard disc that has died, can still spin. Check further.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the response Corday, but as mentioned, the EHD is still working when I plug it into my PC. I'm assuming that if it was a fault with the EHD that has caused it to not work on the TV, it wouldn't work on the PC either?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2020, 06:06 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Odd. My first thought would be an issue with the TV. Maybe there was a software update which broke something or just some other weird glitch.

It shouldn't matter, but assuming the HDD has label (which you can see in Windows as the name next to the icon), try renaming the drive and test again.
elbruceo likes this.

Old 02-06-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

stupid question - have you powered off and unplugged the tv from the mains for five minutes? My LG TV sometimes needs that to be done
Old 02-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I had tried turning the power off initially VP without luck and Jim, no software upgrades as that TV isn't connected to the internet. I gave your idea of renaming the drive a go, also without any luck.

I don't know much about how USB inputs work. Is it possible that some sort of glitch/short/fault could have occurred where they no longer work for the larger EHD but are still ok for the smaller 16gb stick? The whole thing has me scratching my head to be honest. Again it's an assumption on my part, but I'm assuming that any fault with the EHD would also prevent it working on my PCs?
Old 02-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Does the HD have any contents? Does it have any room left?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi Corday... yes to both questions. It's currently showing 1.63 TB used, 186 GB free but nothing had been added or deleted prior to it stopping yesterday. Wednesday it was working, yesterday it was not.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Has the file system changed? (ie) most TV's will only read a FAT32 Volume, They sometimes have problems with NTFS.
On your computer, Right click the drive and choose Properties, it should tell you.
Also, download and run HD Tune, in my signature.
At the top of the program, take the drop down arrow and choose your External Drive. Go to the Error Scan tab, run a Full Error Scannot Quick. If all the blocks are Green, the HDD is healthy. If any of the Blocks are RED, then the drive is beginning to fail. Copy the data off to another drive and replace the Drive ASAP. Running the Full scan will take a long time, but if blocks start showing RED right away, there is no reason to complete the tests. If it's all Green, run some of the other diagnostic tools like Benchmark, and Random Access.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks spunk.funk. No, nothing had changed with the contents between working and not working, but your idea of a scan sounds like a good one. I'll download HD Tune, let it run overnight and report back. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered Member

All green on HD Tune. I've attached screenshots of the Benchmark & Random Access scans as I wasn't sure what I needed to be looking for with them.

While I was at it I also formatted the drive and reloaded some content onto it, but no change as far as the TV connecting to it is concerned.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/ossie_66/Screenshot%203736_zpswje1uxz1.png
Old 02-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

HD tune results look good.
Does this Seagate drive have it's own Power Adapter? If so, plug the power adapter directly into the wall and not a power strip.
Other then that:
If the USB device is not automatically recognized by the TV, follow these steps:
1. Switch the TV off.

2. Insert the USB storage drive into the TV’s USB port (do not use USB extension cables or USB hubs).
3. Switch the TV set on and wait for one minute for it to be fully operational.
4. Press the “Source” button on the remote control and select the correct [USB] port. If the TV does not recognize the device, try re-inserting it with the TV being switched on and repeat this step.
5. Select the folder/file that is going to be browsed and press “OK”.
If the TV still does not recognize the device, try to format the USB drive in a supported file system, using a computer. Copy the files again and repeat steps 1 to 5.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #13
Registered Member

Hi spunk.funk. The only one of your suggestions that I hadn't tried previously was plugging the power directly into the wall, but again, no go with that. Up until a couple of days ago it had worked without a hitch on that TV for at least 5 years. It initially seemed to be a case of either the EHD failing or the USB ports on the TV, but given the EHB works on the PCs and the USB ports are fine with smaller USB sticks, I really haven't got a clue what is going on with it.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
Registered Member

As far as I've noticed in the earlier posts, you have not tried connecting a different external hard drive to your TV. Trying that might give additional insights.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
Registered Member

The only other external hard drive I have is a 4 TB drive which never worked on the TV. From memory I was told that the TV didn't have the capacity to use a drive that large. I did take the "problem" EHD into my neighbours and try it on their TV and it was fine, so I'm still convinced it is an issue with the TV, despite the Samsung call centre telling me there was "no way" (or words to that effect) that I'd be able to get the 16 GB sticks to work on it if the USB inputs had any issues.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
Registered Member

Do you have someone who would allow you to borrow an external hard drive close to the size to your external hard drive?
Perhaps the software in TV has become corrupt in some way that recognizes USB devices that are "smaller" but not those as large as your external hard drive.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #17
Registered Member

I'll check it out and see. I did think about buying another small one but that seems a bit pointless if it's a TV issue (which I'm convinced it is) so hopefully I can borrow a 1 or 2 TB one to try. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2020, 08:39 PM   #18
Registered Member

PS. One of the "fixes" I attempted was to download all the available software updates for the TV but that didn't help at all.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #19
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Have you tried performing a "reset to default" on the TV?

Most of the newer Smart TV's (at least the few that I have access to) have an option to restore back to factory default. This will obviously alter any configuration changes that you have made, but I don't see any other options at this point.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:54 AM   #20
Registered Member

Thanks Jim... and apologies.... I should have said in my initial post that after I'd tested the EHD on my PC and realised it was still working, my next move had been to ring Samsung to see if it was a known issue. One of the steps the guy in the call centre got me to do was the default reset which didn't make a difference. Apart from appletreasure's suggestion of trying to borrow another smaller EHD to see if the TV will connect to it, I'm feeling like I might be at the end of the road.
Closed Thread