Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

User Tag List

DVD reads "empty" in drive, but pics are on it

This is a discussion on DVD reads "empty" in drive, but pics are on it within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a DVD I burned years ago and I want to recover the pictures and transfer them to my

Old 12-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a DVD I burned years ago and I want to recover the pictures and transfer them to my external hard drive. When I put the DVD in, it doesn't show any pictures - just says drag and drop files here. However, I know there were pictures on it because I looked at a few the other day but didn't have time to complete my process of transferring and deciding if I wanted to transfer all of them. (I think there are duplicates). Also, if I use my Photoscape program and reference the DVD drive, I can see the pictures. How can I get these pictures off the DVD? Using Windows 10 on an HP laptop.
flydonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Quote:
I can see the pictures.
If you can See the pictures, then copy them and paste them into your external drive. then you can edit them from there with Photoscape.

It sounds like you used a CD/RW disc. CD/RW discs are harder to work with then a CD/R. A CD/RW must be Formatted before you can use it. And after copying files to it, you must Finalize the disc before it will be readable on any other player. (eg) if you burned the disc on the another computer or drive, it will only be readable on that drive until you Finalize the disc. Open the disc in your burning software and go to the Toolbar to Disc or somesuch and choose Finalize. You may be able to just right ciick the DVD drive with the Disc in it in Windows and choose Finalize.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

I will try to FINALIZE the disc, but the crazy thing is that a few days ago, I was looking at pictures on that disc but there were too many to deal with at the time. I just wanted to get a feel for what was on there - and some I need to save, others are duplicates. So weird to be able to use the disc one day and the next time I try to use it, it says it's empty. At least I know they are on there and it will take time to copy each picture and move it - but that's life! THANKS
flydonna is offline   Reply With Quote