Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Removable Media Drives

User Tag List

DVD/CD optical drive is recognized only occasionally and temporarily

This is a discussion on DVD/CD optical drive is recognized only occasionally and temporarily within the Removable Media Drives forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I recently bought an ASUS Essentio desktop model CG8350 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. My DVD/CD optical drive

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I recently bought an ASUS Essentio desktop model CG8350 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. My DVD/CD optical drive is not consistently being recognized. I've made few changes to the computer and have even tried reinstalling Windows (system recovery, factory settings), but no luck. The curious thing is that after booting up I can occasionally temporarily see the D:\ optical drive listed under My Computer or under Device Manager, but after a few seconds or about a minute after restarting or trying to read a disk, this disappears and the optical drive is no longer shown.

I would take it back to the store where I bought it for repair, but unfortunately that was in the U.S. and I've since moved to Canada. If there's something I can try in order to avoid shipping it off to ASUS or back to the store where I bought it (at my expense, and potential loss of PC for a few weeks), I would much prefer that.

These are the things I have tried so far:
1) opening it up and checking/re-plugging the power cable to the optical drive and the data cable between the optical drive and motherboard. All cables seemed fine. The drive ejects and spins a little bit when a disk is inserted, but neither a blank CD/DVD nor a commercial CD are recognised after insertion.
2) looking at the registry to try the "delete UpperFilters" and "delete LowerFilters" trick that I've seen posted several times. Since the computer had Windows 7 from the start (was not upgraded), these entries were not visible under the suggested registry subkey.
3) under boot options, I've selected "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement" and have booted up. The optical drive showed up under My Computer and/or Device Manager for a few seconds or a minute, but then vanished.
4) disabled integrity checks: I've pasted "bcdedit /set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS" into the Run window. After restarting, the optical drive is again occasionally visible, but only for a short period after which it disappears.
5) following a tip on one website, I tried shutting off and unplugging the data cable between optical drive & motherboard, restarting the computer so Windows could "see" there was actually no optical drive connected, then shutting off and connecting the data cable again and restarting. no luck.
6) I've run the Microsoft Support Fixit executable under "Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media". The first time I ran this, it ran for about 5-10 minutes, but didn't diagnose a problem. The second time I tried to run it (after the Windows 7 re-install), is said my CD/DVD drive was not detected, so didn't run.
7) I've tried built-in Windows diagnostics and ASUS diagnostics, but they didn't help much.
8) I've updated ny BIOS to the most recent version.

I've now run out of ideas and can't find any other suggestions on previous troubleshooting searches. The observation of the drive occasionally being seen for a few seconds/minute after start-up before disappearing seems like it might be a good clue, but I'm not sure how to interpret this. I did get it to play an audio CD a couple hours ago, but after trying to use my drive for something else after that, it's right back into the situation of not being consistently recognized, except sometimes immediately after booting up and then only for a short period.

Any help or suggestions you have will be very very welcome -- thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 AM   #2
CCT
Helper

These people say there ARE filters -> Windows 7 Not Recognizing DVD Drive | Windows 7 News
Old 02-21-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for replying CCT.

I checked again, and the UpperFilters and LowerFilters entries are not visible under the suggested registry subkey. This may be because my machine had Windows 7 on it right from the start, whereas all the forums about deleting those entries dealt with machines that had been upgraded from winXP such that these entries were "leftovers".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
CCT
Helper

Yes, that may well be.

When you pulled the mobo connector from the mobo and from the DVD (is that IDE BTW?), did you check that no pins were broken off and stuck in the female sockets?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

The mobo connector is a serial ATA cable. I just looked at all 3 connections: serial ATA at optical drive, serial ATA at motherboard, and power cable to optical drive, and didn't see any loose or broken pins.

I don't know if this helps with diagnoses, but recently at the early boot stage I tried to eject the DVD drive, and the desktop shut down. I turned it on again and ejected the DVD drive a few times while the PC booted up. Again, after booting up I saw the optical drive listed under Device Manager and My Computer briefly, but it disappeared after a couple minutes.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:48 PM   #6
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Sounds like a faulty drive. The best test would be to install it into another PC.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I agree that's a bad drive and depending on make and model, we don't see much life out of most.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #8
CCT
Helper

I don't have 7 to play with, but this thread -> CD/DVD Drive suddenly disappears - and reappears on ejecting the cd

notes similar issues and a trio of suggestions, ie;

- "I found it, the disappearing is a feature called "hide empty drive in the computer folder". To disable it (so that you can see the empty DVD drive) just click on Computer > Organize > Folder and search option > View then unclick the "hide empty drive in the computer folder" check box. Then I could see the empty DVD drive. I reboot the system and the DVD drive is still there after reboot."

- "I found it, the disappearing is a feature called "hide empty drive in the computer folder". To disable it (so that you can see the empty DVD drive) just click on Computer > Organize > Folder and search option > View then unclick the "hide empty drive in the computer folder" check box. Then I could see the empty DVD drive. I reboot the system and the DVD drive is still there after reboot."

- "Setting the power to "High performance" worked for me"
Old 02-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thank you everyone for your responses.

CCT: I wasn't concerned with not seeing the optical drive under "My Computer", but it was also not showing in Device Manager, which I believe indicates a problem.

General: I'd had several discussions with several different ASUS technical support agents over a period of a couple days. Incredibly, they all failed to mention the most obvious possible explanation for the optical drive not being recognized: there's an Intel chipset problem for the i7 Sandy Bridge processor which affects SATA drives plugged into most of the SATA ports on the motherboard. The optical drive was plugged into one of these SATA ports. I've now plugged it into one of the non-affected SATA ports and all seems OK. I think I'm going to live with 3 dead/dying SATA ports rather than lose a month sending it to ASUS for them to send me a replacement.

Intel had even issued a product recall several weeks ago. Admittedly, I didn't do the research to find out about a possible recall (I just found out this morning), but I'm surprised the ASUS technical support agents didn't offer that as a possibility!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Wow classic example of us not having enough info to help and if any of us had found info on the board we would have realized SandyBridge cpu and then the answer as I would bet everyone of us knew that issue. Asking a hardware question without provinding the hardware in question, is the biggest single impediment I have seen in trying to help on tech support forums in the last 15 years, and it never changes! Glad you got it solved and BTW Asus is really quick on turnaround (probably out of necessity because about 1/2 of what they ship is defective in my experience).....

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread