Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The Relaxation Room > TSF Sports

User Tag List

International Sports

This is a discussion on International Sports within the TSF Sports forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've noticed most of our sports talk is geared to stateside sports. Sadly, I do not know much about cricket

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-22-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Team

Send a message via MSN to bry623

I've noticed most of our sports talk is geared to stateside sports. Sadly, I do not know much about cricket and only briefly understand rugby. I know we have other sports fans across the globe. Please feel free to post something about your favorite sport. Is your national team in the World Cup? Liverpool won the Champions League? Did someone badly break their arm in a scrum?

We are an international forum and I for one, would love to hear about sports from around the globe.
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #2
A_D
TSF Enthusiast

My System

..well..i'd have to say football (..soccer, for some) for the simple reason you can play it anywhere with absolutely anything....
A_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
TSF Emeritus

I would say AFL and Table tennis (ping pong) for the reason they are bothe great sports!
Go The Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
ole'

My System

soccer. (football to most)
forcifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rugby!!

By far a better sport than Fottie........

I know this statement will revive this thread

I have strange hobbies really, I'm a computer nerd that plays far too many computer games but am also an avid Rugby player that has had two junior trials for the province of Leinster in the Rep. of Ireland.

I think all following posters should post about the sports they play/played and their sporting achievements.
swarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Note i said JUNIOR trials, dont get any ideas that i was training along side Brian O'Driscoll.............I Wish!
swarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:01 PM   #7
Vetustior Humo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarner View Post
I think all following posters should post about the sports they play/played and their sporting achievements.
I was a better football player (in HS) than Robin Yount - a Hall of Fame baseball player
Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 PM   #8
Just hanging around

My System

what about auto racing? formula one, GT, touring cars, and rallying are almost unheard-of here in north america. all we have is NASCAR and indycar, which is great, but i hope more media coverage of international racing events will occur.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Just hanging around

My System

what?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:13 PM   #10

Champions League and Carling Cup previews: Obafemi Martins to miss out for Newcastle
Arsenal and Liverpool are in qualifying action in Europe while the Premier League sides enter the Carling Cup in round two

(Jon Super)
Times Online

7.45pm kick-off unless stated

TUESDAY

Carling Cup second round

Bolton v Northampton, 8pm

Now there are TWO ways to feed your fantasy

We have built on last year's success of PlayTheGame by offering fantasy football managers double the fun this coming season
Related Links
Ferdinand set for Sunderland
Curbishley rubbishes Bellamy reports
Wenger must bully Arsenal board over signings

Johan Elmander is a major doubt for Bolton's Carling Cup second-round clash with Northampton tomorrow night.

The Swede damaged a hamstring during Saturday's 1-0 Barclays Premier League defeat at Newcastle and is struggling to make the game. Matt Taylor suffered a foot injury at St James' Park and could miss out, although Wanderers boss Gary Megson intends to field as strong a side as possible.

Bolton (from): Jaaskelainen, Al Habsi, Nolan, Davies, Taylor, Muamba, Gardner, A O'Brien, Shittu, McCann, Steinsson, Hunt, Samuel, Cahill, J O'Brien, Elmander, Riga, Dzemaili, Cohen, Vaz Te, Helguson.

Cheltenham v Stoke

Ricardo Fuller and Liam Lawrence are unlikely to be risked for the Carling Cup second-round clash at Cheltenham tomorrow night.

The pair were recovering from injuries when the Barclays Premier League season got under way and despite both making an encouraging start for the Potters in the league, manager Tony Pulis is expected to bring in some fringe players for the trip to Whaddon Road.

Pulis did suggest recent recruits Abdoulaye Faye and Amdy Faye were still a touch short of the fitness levels required and they may be included for at least part of the game. Steve Simonsen is almost certain to take over from first-choice Thomas Sorensen in goal, while the likes of Jon Parkin, Vincent Pericard, Danny Pugh and Lewis Buxton are likely to get the chance to put themselves in the shop window.

Stoke (from): Sorensen, Griffin, Wilkinson, Cort, Shawcross, Dickinson, Lawrence, Delap, Olofinjana, Whelan, Amdy Faye, Cresswell, Sidibe, Kitson, Fuller, Simonsen, Buxton, Pugh, Diao, Parkin, Pericard, Abdoulaye Faye, Dramani.
kral_2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 04:15 PM   #11

Galatasaray bring Baroš to Istanbul
Tuesday 26 August 2008
e-mailPrintDiggSave
Milan Baroš is the latest addition to Galatasaray's armoury (©Getty Images)

Czech striker Milan Baroš has become the latest summer recruit at Galatasaray AŞ, joining the Turkish champions from Olympique Lyonnais for a reported €5.5m fee.

Three-year deal
The 26-year-old has agreed a three-year contract with Galatasaray, though he will be ineligible for Wednesday's UEFA Champions League third qualifying round meeting with FC Steaua Bucureşti in Romania. Baroš will link up with former Anfield team-mate Harry Kewell at Galatasaray, one of a number of high-profile summer signings along with defender Fernando Meira and goalkeeper Morgan De Sanctiis. Galatasaray kicked off the new domestic season in Turkey with a comprehensive 4-1 win against Denizlispor on Saturday.

Liverpool success
Top scorer at UEFA EURO 2004™ with five goals, Baroš started his career in the Czech Republic with FC Baník Ostrava, before moving to Liverpool FC in 2001/02. He would score 19 goals in 68 games for the Anfield side, and win the UEFA Champions League in 2004/05. He moved to Aston Villa FC in 2005 before linking up with former Liverpool manager Gérard Houllier at Lyon in January 2007. Despite inconsistent club form, however, he continues to produce at international level and has scored 32 goals in 66 games for the Czech Republic, including one in last week's 2-2 friendly draw against England at Wembley.

©uefa.com 1998-2008. All rights reserved.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Just hanging around

My System

oh. well, you could've just sent the link to that site, or maybe a Google translated version of it.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #13

High time Steven Gerrard moved from comfort zone with England

(Graham Hughes)

By the left: the deployment of Gerrard in his favoured central role did little in the long run to benefit England or McClaren in the Euro 2008 qualifiers
Martin Samuel

Steven Gerrard is a brilliant player, but he cannot start on the left of midfield. Brilliant, but he does not like it on the right, either. Brilliant, yet uncomfortable behind the striker. Brilliant, but obviously cannot play in the same team as Frank Lampard. Brilliant, but he must have Gareth Barry beside him. For such a brilliant player, Gerrard’s champions spend an awful lot of time telling the world what he cannot do. Almost as much as they expend detailing the precise conditions in which he must operate: in the centre, like Roy of the Rovers, with the England team built around him. Now there was a chap who tried that. Oh, you must remember him. Ginger lad, nice smile, carried an umbrella. Not been around for a while.

Gerrard is a brilliant player — heaven knows Liverpool would be lost without him — and it is for precisely that reason that Fabio Capello is using him to address a problem on England’s left that was only half-solved by the arrival of Joe Cole. This is still a work in progress, as well it might be with one full training session to prepare for the match with the Czech Republic, but Capello has considerably longer to get his players ready for the game in Croatia on September 10 and they should know the system better by then.

It needs time. As usual, though, the moment a plan does not go like clockwork from the outset there are calls for it to be abandoned. It took Sir Alex Ferguson, the Manchester United manager, a reasonable while to perfect 4-3-3 with Wayne Rooney coming in from wide. Got there in the end, though, didn’t he?

Asked about Gerrard’s sinister new role, Capello bristled and said that England played 4-3-2-1 against the Czechs with Gerrard forward behind the striker, not 4-4-2, with Gerrard on the left of midfield. We have been here before. This is the Christmas tree formation used by Terry Venables against Holland at the 1996 European Championship. So I asked Venables to settle the argument over the way England played.
Related Links
Capello urges Gerrard and Rooney to unite
Capello insists things will get better

He said he did not think Gerrard was required to operate as a conventional wide midfield player, but he didn’t recognise a Christmas tree. If it was, he said, it would have been very lop-sided, because Rooney kept going out to the left, where Gerrard was, leaving a void on the right that David Beckham did not have the legs to fill. So fine-tuning is needed, but at this early stage we should expect that. What is not useful, however, is the predictable chorus of disapproval that greets the attempt of any England manager to move his players an inch beyond their comfort zone.

Gerrard scored the winning goal for Liverpool on Saturday, and it was triumphantly pointed out that he was deployed in central midfield. His shot, however, came from the edge of the penalty area, slightly to the left of centre: exactly the sort of position Capello wants him to occupy. The fact is he could have scored that goal from any starting location because the crucial matter is not where Gerrard starts, but where he ends up. It was argued that England looked good against the Czech Republic only when Gerrard came inside, but this misses the point. Gerrard is meant to come inside. He starts left but from there his job is to link with the forwards as quickly as possible; quicker than on Wednesday night, actually.

Now, that might be a result of Capello’s caution, or his, but it represents the germ of a good idea. Either way, what is the point in employing Capello if he is not allowed to change our thought processes? What is the point if he is limited by our lack of imagination, our straight-line football culture? The moment a performance is less than perfect we cry for our security blankets: 4-4-2 and Gerrard in the centre. Well, we played 4-4-2 with Gerrard in the centre last year and England were knocked out of the European Championship. That is why Capello is here, remember?

The middle is too congested (this is the reason it took Liverpool 94 minutes to win against Middlesbrough at home on Saturday). Gerrard is arguably England’s most talented midfield player and will be more difficult to resist if he is coming in from a wide position. Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, has been reluctant to use him in the heart of midfield for the same reason and it will be interesting to see what happens when Javier Mascherano returns from the Olympics. In previous seasons, Benítez has preferred guarding central midfield players and Gerrard high up the pitch, with less traffic between him and the goal.

Roy Race was a cartoon character. In real life a footballer, however talented, cannot run through the entire team to score. After the match against Andorra in Barcelona, in which Gerrard scored twice, Steve McClaren, the former England head coach, guaranteed his place in the centre of midfield. How many goals did he then score for England from that position in the rest of the campaign? None. His only subsequent goal came against the United States in May, under Capello.

The manager is trying to help Gerrard, not kill him, as Harry Redknapp, the Portsmouth manager, suggested. He is trying to deploy him in an area of the pitch that will make him more dangerous. In doing so, he seems to have greater belief in Gerrard than many of his devotees, who clearly view him as a precious little hothouse flower, one that must have the environment completely to his liking to grow. Gerrard is a much better player than that; and Capello knows it, too.

Ferguson sold on the idea

Mikaël Silvestre is the first Manchester United player to be sold to Arsenal in 34 years. That can mean only one thing. Either Sir Alex Ferguson does not fancy Arsenal, or he does not fancy Silvestre: probably both.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #14

Cricket is my game fellas! The game of West Indies! I enjoy playing it, every single minute of it! It's a hard game to master though.
Jenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raashid_sy2k

Hello Guys Does Any one Have The Schedule of The Chamions League Matches and Who's in The Round of 16
raashid_sy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #16
Registered Member

cricket,footbal and tennis.
Sefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:57 AM   #17
Troubled

OS: Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot, Windows 7 Starter SP1 (netbook)

My System

Football (soccer), snooker, and any type of car racing. Formula 1, GP2, British Touring Cars, WRC, anything on 4 wheels.
deleted6052011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #18

Soccer, cricket and tennis!
Love 'em!
Bravo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:24 PM   #19
Registered Member

Football, Rugby and Cricket for me....i like basketball as well although i don't get to see it much
lkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #20
-Articles Team
-Games Team

Location: Norfolk, East Anglia, England, United Kingdom, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Universe

My System

Football {Soccer to you yanks} (EPL is the best league in the world followed by La Liga), Cricket (England and The Ashes - Sorry all you Aussies), Darts (England basically dominates this with some Dutchman competators), Snooker (Mainly English anyway)..............

Nearly all of them but Rugby and any of those American Sports...

Redeye3323 is offline   Reply With Quote