Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Gaming Forum > Console Gaming Support

User Tag List

Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible within the Console Gaming Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This was not written by me, the views expressed are solely those of the writer. In short the Xbox 360

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #1
Don't be a menace

This was not written by me, the views expressed are solely those of the writer.

In short the Xbox 360 will be (for the most part) backwards compatible.

but one thing I don't get is how these morons can't figure out that the new Xbox 360 is going to cost... dun dun dun dun... $360. They keep saying around 300 and maybe 350, they can figure out the thing will cost 360! And these are the people giving us information about stuff pfff.

Microsoft Press Briefing

Quote:
The most important announcement at this event was the demonstration of the Xbox 360, planned for release this holiday season. Company management stated that the Xbox 360 would be backward compatible for “most top selling Xbox games”, and pledged “support “ for the current generation Xbox “well into 2006”. Two weeks ago, we noted our
concern that the Xbox 360 may not be backward compatible with Xbox software due to a change in graphics processor chipset manufacturers from Nvidia to ATI. In a separate meeting with Microsoft management, we confirmed that the company has agreed to pay a small royalty to Nvidia to allow the Xbox 360’s ATI chipset to emulate the performance of the Nvidia chipset in reading certain Xbox games. For games written in a single layer
(management assumes that this is a large percentage of Xbox games), the hardware emulation should perform well.

For games written in multiple layers, a further emulation must be provided. The company intends to create software “patches” (i.e., separate emulation programs) for top-selling Xbox games written in multiple layers, and intends to sell the Xbox 360 with a hard drive that is pre-loaded with these patches. We presume that the majority of Xbox games will be backward compatible, and the company assured us that it intends to add patches should consumer demand warrant such action.

We are less confident about Microsoft’s intentions regarding the current generation Xbox. The company’s pledge of “support” is broad, but we believe that it does not equate to “manufacture” of Xboxes. Rather, we believe that the company has stockpiled a number of Nvidia chipsets, and is prepared to manufacture current generation Xboxes through the end of 2005, and perhaps for a few months beyond. The implications of this are difficult to assess: on the one hand, it is likely that the company will focus all of its marketing efforts on the rollout of the Xbox 360, and phase out the Xbox rapidly, resulting in a rapid ramp in sales of the new hardware; on the other hand, it is possible that Microsoft will be unable to satisfy demand for the 360, and may experience a decline in demand for current generation Xbox software, resulting in lower overall industry sales growth this year. We believe that the latter scenario is likely to occur, and note that it could impact overall industry sales growth by approximately 100 bps in 2005.

One final takeaway: Microsoft did not discuss pricing for the Xbox 360, but assured us in our meeting with management that “neither you nor consumers will be shocked” at the price. This implies to us that the device will be priced below $400, and may possibly be priced at $350. As discussed below, we expect Sony’s entry to be priced higher, potentially providing Microsoft with an additional competitive advantage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2005, 01:10 AM   #2

I'm confused, why is the Xbox going to cost $360?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #3

From what I understand the Xbox 360 costs about $375 to produce, but just like the previous xbox they want to sell it at a price at which people will buy them all up. The standard Xbox 360 is supposed to cost $300 and come with no Harddrive and no backwards compatibility. The more expensive version will come with both of those features. (heresay from friends in the biz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Superhuman Computer

My System

No hard drive? Oh dear. Looks like Microsoft have worked out that to successfully make a fortune on 8 megabyte memory card sales, you don't fit an 8 gigabyte hard drive to the system before shipping.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #5

Well the harddrives are going to be external (a slot in the back), and if you don't buy the one that comes with a harddrive they will sell seperately for like $50. I haven't looked into this stuff for awhile but this is what I learned.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to DumberDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to DumberDrummer
I always thought it was silly that sony sold an 8 mb card for upwards of 30 dollars new, when the X-box had an 8 or 10 gig hdd. That made no sense to me, especially when the average price for a 60 gig hdd is about $30.

I would hate to see MS do the same thing.

"Buy our x-box hdd for only $50 dollars!!!"

when its really only a 20 dollar hard drive.

Living with Louie dog's the only way to stay sane
Old 07-15-2005, 01:05 AM   #7
Superhuman Computer

My System

There'll be a software hack within days (probably hours) so you can put your own drives in - with the Xbox, MS locked the drive to the system, but it's a simple matter of taking another drive, and locking that one to it instead.

Hey, you could probably even use Ghost or True Image to take an image of the official HDD and resize the partition up to a larger size and dump it onto your 200GB drive at home

But then, if they're selling them separately, they couldn't be locked to one system, or it would be far too much hassle making the drive 'learn' the system it's installed into and you then couldn't take the hdd to another person's 360 to play your saved games on their system.....
Old 07-15-2005, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumberDrummer
I always thought it was silly that sony sold an 8 mb card for upwards of 30 dollars new, when the X-box had an 8 or 10 gig hdd. That made no sense to me, especially when the average price for a 60 gig hdd is about $30.
It was also funny how Sony refused to put 4 controller slots, and instead sold $40 multitaps. You can get 512mb jump drives for the cost of those stupid memory cards.. You can't save a game without a memory card, yet they still won't include them. N64 and Xbox had it right: you could save on the cartridge/harddrive itself but you could buy a memory card to transfer information if you really needed to.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:43 PM   #9

that makes sense doesnt it

ive heard that the standard model is going to be reverse compatible also tho that was pretty much straight from bungie they said that they were almost positive about that.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by myquitehead
From what I understand the Xbox 360 costs about $375 to produce, but just like the previous xbox they want to sell it at a price at which people will buy them all up. The standard Xbox 360 is supposed to cost $300 and come with no Harddrive and no backwards compatibility. The more expensive version will come with both of those features. (heresay from friends in the biz)

Yep confirmed, the reason this is true is because the HDD stores the emulators.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:22 AM   #11
Superhuman Computer

My System

Aha! Does this then mean that if you buy the hard drive from MS you will be able to download the Xbox emus for free, or will they charge for this aswell?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:33 AM   #12

The most popular games will have the emulators loaded onto the harddrives before they are shipped. I'm guessing some emulators will be available through xbox live for some of the lesser played games at some point, but I can't say if they will be free.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #13

the core bundle wont have backwards compatability it will come with a corded controller and no HDD for $299 the premium bundle will have backwards compatablility and will come with a HDD wireless controller headset and dvd remote for $399 an extra HDD will cost $100
Closed Thread