Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > File and Application Sharing

User Tag List

Sharing Desktops (Laptop to PC)

This is a discussion on Sharing Desktops (Laptop to PC) within the File and Application Sharing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings all and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from a long time grateful member. You guys have helped me in so many ways

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans

Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings all and HAPPY HOLIDAYS from a long time grateful member. You guys have helped me in so many ways over the years with not only my issues but for issues I had dumped upon me from friends. So here's my question and if this has been addressed in another thread, please direct me.

I have a part time job as an independent cruise agent. When I do work, I usually do it on my HP laptop in the Diningroom. The problem is all of my necessary files are on my main PC in my other room (aka,,,office). As many have seen in the issues I have had with my laptop the last few months with updating to W-10 Ver.1903, the SSD is rather small so I am trying to use the laptop just to access my files on the main PC. Is there a way I can access my main PC from my laptop WITHOUT using a program such as Teamviewer or the like. Seems like a pain to have to run back and forth to enter the pass codes between the 2 computers. I am using W-10 Home so I think "Remote" is out of the question. Any ideas???
Timh1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 03:18 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

No need to run back and forth to enter codes between the two computers, just configure Teamviewer for unattended access on the desktop. The process involves setting a password for unattended access so that you don't have to enter a different one each time you start Teamviewer on the desktop. You need Teamviewer or such a remote desktop application to access the main PC's desktop environment like you would when sitting in front of it. If you don't need desktop access, and all you want is access to these files, then the alternative is to share those files on the network or use network file sharing to access them from the laptop. The Teamviewer route is simpler, so I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it just yet. See https://www.google.com/search?&q=tea...d+access+setup for various sources on how to go about it.

Note:
During the unattended access setup, you will be prompted to assign the main pc to a Teamviewer account. This is not necessary, especially if you will not be accessing it via the internet from anywhere. You can skip this part by selecting the appropriate option.

By default, Teamviewer is not configured to allow direct LAN connections (direct connections via your local network), which means, by default, ALL connections must be through the internet, negotiated through Teamviewer servers. You can change this behaviour with a few clicks. Simply open Teamviewer, go to the Extras menu and select Options. Under the General tab, which is in focus by default, you will see the Network settings section. Click the drop-down list labelled Incoming LAN connections and set it to accept then click OK to close the Options dialog.
Timh1111 likes this.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well done Stan!!! It was a little different than how you explained (newer version?) but I figured it out. Once I entered the I.D. into my laptop running T.V from my Main PC, it saved it. I checked by closing the program, waiting a few minutes and when I opened it again, the remote ID (from my main PC) was automatically entered!! Even allowed me to click on an icon to switch between the two monitors I have on my main PC! THANK YOU!!!
Timh1111 is offline   Reply With Quote