Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote Access Software Recommendations

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Currently the business is using an obsolete version of Symantec pcAnywhere, and the only person that wants to change from that is me, because I've read some stuff that indicates that it has security vulnerabilities that are not being patched, and this is a business network and so security concerns are high.

The up-side of pcAnywhere is that everyone that needs to use it has been using it for years, I'm very familiar with the internal configuration, options, etc... and I assume we could upgrade with very little effort. Also, it seems to work well, with a very minimum of lag between the remote operator and the host computer, which is in direct contrast to TeamViewer.

I became aware of TeamViewer through online gaming and it was free so when I needed to get fast access to a client's machine for malware removal, etc... that has been my "go to" software, but lately I'm become more & more aware, and more and more dissatisfied with how extraordinarily SLOW TeamViewer seems to be in comparison to pcAnywhere. I used to blame my host machine, or the remote machine, but after months of trying to wade through the molasses performance I've decided that TeamViewer is to blame, but I don't know why. I wonder if there are some settings that I could tweak (like increasing a "sample rate", or similar) or if there is some inherent reason why TeamViewer is, and always will be, painfully slow.

So, unless I can beat TeamViewer into increased performance, my options are: 1) pcAnywhere upgrade or 2) "something else".

The other thing to mention is that the companies' new server is MS Server 2008 and the upgrade was expressly for the implementation of Remote Desktop Connections (aka "Terminal Services"), and that has been completed. I have Remote Desktop Connections all over the place within the internal network, and just yesterday it occured to me that I might be able to utilize already-existing functionality (Remote Desktop) on the Server in order to connect to it from outside the network (via the internet).

Is this possible? Is it difficult? Is it functional? Think I'd rather use what we already have instead of buying something new. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
PCAnywhere, along with Partition Magic, and Backup Exec were excellent products and then Symantec bought them out and pretty much stopped supporting them. http://www.symantec.com/business/su...earch&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1418872746420
Symantec is ending support for PCAnywhere as of May 2015 So, there will be no new versions of PCAnywhere pcAnywhere EOL | Symantec Connect
A couple of similar products with much more features are Dameware Remote Control Software - Remote IT Support | DameWare or Real VNC RealVNC™ remote access & control software for desktop and mobile I have used both and they are easy to install and use, and our faster then PCAnywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.