Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > File and Application Sharing

User Tag List

My Book NAS says network link down, Windows Explorer canít reach it

This is a discussion on My Book NAS says network link down, Windows Explorer canít reach it within the File and Application Sharing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This problem just showed up this past weekend. I have a WD My Book Live NAS on my home network.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

This problem just showed up this past weekend.

I have a WD My Book Live NAS on my home network. From any computer on the network I can reach its dashboard and run diagnostics (which it passes). None of my computers can see it in Windows Explorer, returning: ďThe specified network name is no longer available.Ē This NAS is our file server, so losing contact with it is a serious problem. Recent problems with backups mean my backups arenít current.

Hereís my system:

AT&T router connected by Cat5e to Netgear GigE switch.

Connected by wire to said switch are:

Two Lenovo desktops running Windows 10 Pro, one at 1903 and one at 1909. (Yes, Iíve re-enabled SMBv1.)

One antique Dell notebook running Windows XP Pro, only used to manage backups.

One WD My Cloud NAS that contains backups, currently working okay.

One WD My Book Live NAS serving as our file server, currently not working okay.

All are assigned to the same workgroup.

I can bring up the My Bookís dashboard on any of the three computers without a problem, which says it must be connected. I can also ping it. The router lists it and does not indicate an error. The IP address is acquired by DHCP, but has not changed. It has no problem sending me e-mail to tell me the link is down.

BUT

On all three machines Windows Explorer says it is no longer available. The dashboard for the device reports that the network link is down. ďThis PCĒ lists it as a network location, but with a big red ďXĒ.

Iíve tried rebooting the NAS from the dashboard. Iíve tried resetting it with the physical reset button. Iíve tried replacing the Ethernet cable. Iíve tried plugging it into a different switch. Iíve tried resetting the TCP/IP stack. No joy. Iíve now exceeded my limited knowledge.

Suggestions are solicited. Thanks!
jdunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2020, 01:32 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Assign it a static ip, then use that ip address in Explorer and see if it is reachable.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Assign it a static ip, then use that ip address in Explorer and see if it is reachable.
I haven't messed with static IPs for so long that those grey cells are long gone. I know where to go in the dashboard to assign the IP address, and I know what address range to use, but I worry that I'll get the net mask wrong. I'm guessing that it should be 255.255.255.0. It also wants a gateway, which I assume should be the IP of my AT&T router.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

On your computer, start an Elevated Command Prompt
Type ipconfig /all and press Enter.
This will give you the Default Gateway IP address (your router) the IP Range (ie) the IP address of the Gateway and your computers IP address, and the Subnet Mask of your computer, which should be the same for the static IP.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I tried setting a static IP address through the dashboard. I thought I entered it all correctly, but the NAS wouldn't take it.

I'm giving up on this aging NAS. I've discovered that I can reach it just fine with FTP, so I'm going to redo my network scheme, figure out where my data can reside and not have these problems, and FTP the whole lot out of the NAS.

Thank you for the suggestion, spunk.funk.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:09 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Here is another option, if you want to still try to fix it: https://community.wd.com/t/change-st...dress/182999/2