User Tag List

how to share

This is a discussion on how to share within the File and Application Sharing forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'd like to know how to share a specific folder via LAN and enable permissions. More specifically, I'd like to

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'd like to know how to share a specific folder via LAN and enable permissions.

More specifically, I'd like to share this laptop (Win 7 OS) with my Android PMP and Linux laptop (Mint OS) and grant it "full control" (read and write permissions) without granting "Everyone" control and without adding separate users with pw onto this laptop.

(scroll to end of the post to skip details)

Let's say the folder that I want to share is called "Bouncy." I right-clicked on "Bouncy", clicked on "Preferences", then enabled " Share.."to "Network Path: \\MYCPUNAME\Bouncy" and allowed Guest and Homegroup read/write privileges.

From my Linux, I "Connected to Server" but couldn't connect.

Under "Advanced Sharing" in Windows 7, I clicked "Share this folder" and created a profile under "Share name" => "Share name: Bouncy"

I can connect from the Linux, but can't write to the Win 7 folder.

In "Advanced Sharing", under "Permissions for Bouncy", the "Group: Everyone" only has Read permissions. I clicked on "Add" and "Selected the object type: Users, Groups, or Built-in security principles" "From this location: MYCPUNAME". Under "Enter the object names to select" I wasn't quite sure what to write, so I clicked on "Advanced". The search results from "Find names" with these settings yield a ton of names that I'll omit. I first clicked on "MYNAME" in "My Folder": "MYCPUNAME". No access from Linux.

I then changed the permissions to "Network", allowed full control permissions and now was able add files from my Linux. Which is good.

***The main question now is-
How do I make it so that only a few specific IP addresses or Users (PMP and Linux laptop) have full control?
OR
How do I make it so that a password is required to access from LAN with full control?

(From my understanding, the workgroup name has no bearing on my Linux laptop)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

It's not necessary, but makes it easier if all computers are under the same Workgroup name, not the blank Workgroup.
Be sure each computer has a user name and password and do not log in automatically. Be sure Network Discovery is turned on in Windows 7, make sure Simple File sharing is turned on for the other computers.
Add your username login in the Security tab of the folder from the other computer as the only user to be able to access the share.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #3
Registered Member

Network Sharing and File Sharing are enabled. All computers under the same Domain/Group Name.
When opening as admin from Mint, nautilus doesn't understand redirects me to "Home." When going to properties as user, permissions could not be determined.

hm. Thanks for the reply though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Moving your thread to the Networking forum for better results.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
TSF Emeritus

"grant it "full control" (read and write permissions) without granting "Everyone" control and without adding separate users with pw onto this laptop."

You believe "everyone" is a security risk? That is an internet myth.

Given your criteria you only left with bad choices.
1. enable the guest account and assign it to the share with modify.
2. logon/connect using the administrator account.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

I am more familiar with Ubuntu, I think Mint is some what the same though. I can not go into details because it will quite long. Go to this link Linux Mint Forums • View topic - File Sharing - Windows Client - Linux Server

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread