User Tag List

Wiring

This is a discussion on Wiring within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was looking for help in running Cat 6 wire in my house. I have my computer hooked up to

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:54 AM   #1

I was looking for help in running Cat 6 wire in my house.

I have my computer hooked up to to the router.

I want to run a second Cat 6 wire from the router in the computer room into another room.

To do this I would run a wire from the router into a wall plate, the run the wire across to basement ceiling and terminate into a wall plate in the other room. I would then connect the computer to the wall plate in this other room.

My question involes what wiring schemes would I use in terminating the in wall wire to the wall plates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Well you should have a patch panel where the router is
Something like this, i would send you mine, but i cant seem to attach picture on this fourm.
https://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/help/network/...atch_panel.jpg

Starting from your router ....

Router >> patch cable from router to front of patch panel >> Out the back of the patch panel (puched down) and up the wall to the room with the computer >> punched down into the wall jack >> patch cable to computer

Orange white
Orange
Green white
Blue
Blue white
Green
Brown White
Brown

On both sides.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Citizen of the world

Actually, a patch panel is gross overkill for most folks!

To connect to the wall plate, you simply connect, most of them are punch-down connectors. Here's a typical example with a phone jack and an Ethernet jack. https://www.valleyseek.com/product.action?itemID=2839

On the other end, you just terminate the cables with RJ-45 plugs and connect them to your router/switch at the central location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I disagree, a 8 port patch panel is cheap, and should be part of any home wiring.

I use leviton wall plates, and wall jacks. They also have a strutured wiring box (patch panel like device), makes things nice and clean.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Citizen of the world

You're free to disagree, but it's not your money you're spending.

For someone that has half a dozen CAT5 connections, I still say the patch panel just creates more work, expense, and more places for bad connections to be made.
Closed Thread