Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Windows XP Wireless Card Constantly Disconnecting/Reconnecting

This is a discussion on Windows XP Wireless Card Constantly Disconnecting/Reconnecting within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello! I'm just trying to help a friend out, that wanted to get a wireless connection on her old Dell

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello!

I'm just trying to help a friend out, that wanted to get a wireless connection on her old Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop running Windows XP Home Edition. I bought her a TrendNet TEW-421PC card, and installed the driver and utility from the included cd.

Now it was successfully able to detect my WiFi network and connect, but a few seconds after connecting, I see the message "Wireless connection unavailable", followed by a message indicating a successful connection with excellent signal strength... It just keeps going back and forth between the two, every few seconds. I can't load any web pages at all, however, whether while it says it's connected or not.

I appreciate any help you guys may be able to offer me in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found, here's how

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

Old 12-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the quick reply! Here are the results of ipconfig, and attached is the screenshot (which I assumed you meant for me to run from a working computer? Let me know if I was supposed to run it on the problem one instead):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gidget

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-D1-6B-72-E5

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-74-03-42-49
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Xirrus.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	210978  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

All reports should be from the problematic pc

Old 12-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #5
Registered Member

Right, that should've been obvious... here is the report from the problematic pc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xirrus.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	210986  
Closed Thread