Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Wifi is significantly slower then ethernet

This is a discussion on Wifi is significantly slower then ethernet within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Windows 8.1 OS. the model of my pc is h9-1330. My wifi adapter is Broadcom BCM943228HMB model.

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Windows 8.1 OS. the model of my pc is h9-1330. My wifi adapter is Broadcom BCM943228HMB model. I have century link fiber optic 1000 mbps internet. My computer download times over wifi would average around 3-5 mb/s. I don't recall the day it happened but then my download times where slow and went down to 300-500 kb/s. My ping in online games increased also. My computer crashed so I restored it to Factory New settings and the slow download times still persisted. I even moved my computer right next to my modem and still had slow download times. I also have another computer in my house that is the same model and over wifi it averages 3-4 mb/s. I decided to hook my computer via Ethernet and my fast download times of 3-5 mb/s returned. I don't understand why this is happening. Even my old vista labtop from 2005 is getting 3-4 mb/s. I updated my network adapter and even changed my ip address but the problem as persisted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

Wireless will always be slower than wired . . but Lets take a peek at your network environment:

First:

Power Cycle everything . . Turn off the Modem, router and all pc's . . turn on the Modem and wait a few minutes for the lights to stabilize . . then turn on the router, then one pc at a time. See if you connect to the internet.

Then:

Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network again.

How to Remove Stored Wireless Network Profiles for XP, Vista, and Windows 7

Then: check your browser's settings, remove any proxy settings if found here's how.

Then:

with the pc connected to the router, Click on Start . . Run . . type CMD

At the > prompt type or copy and paste the following command:

ipconfig/all > 0 & notepad 0

and press enter.

Come back here and Paste the results in a message.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB drive, or a CD-R disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

then please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
Networking Team Emeritus

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Lets see an ookla test from modem of the two computers.

To post a screenshot:

Click Go advanced next to Submit Reply.
Click arrow next to paperclip.

Under Upload File from your computer

Click to browse to your file(Name of screenshot).
Click Upload

Click Upload File From a URL
Click Upload

Click on arrow beside paperclip
Click Manage Attachments to Add or Remove attachments

Click on name of File
[/CENTER]
Closed Thread