Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

WiFi extension via network cable issue

This is a discussion on WiFi extension via network cable issue within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I am trying to extend my WiFi with a second modem/router (BThub4) in my living room connected via a

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi

I am trying to extend my WiFi with a second modem/router (BThub4) in my living room connected via a network cable (Cat5e) to my modem/router (BThub5) in my study. The network cable seems fine as I can connect a PC to it and it does what it should do however when I connect the second modem , it wont recieve an IP address. I took a another length of CAT5 and connected it up and it all works fine.

What could the issue be?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

See this for how to use two routers:

https:// Connecting Additional Routers - Tech Support Forum

Old 02-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Rich,
However, the modem setup is all good. It works when I use a length of spare network cable to connect them but when I use the installed (in the wall) cable the second modem does not get an IP address from the DHCP server on the first modem.
I have tested this cable by plugging a laptop into it and the computer does indeed get an IP address from the modem.
So my question is could it be the network cable?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

It's because routers are not set up to accept a IP address from another router by default. You have to make the changes I linked to

Old 02-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks again,

It's a weird problem:
The routers are set up as per the article in your link.
They work when linked via a loose network cable. (Router1 to Router2)
But dont work via installed network cable. (Router1 to Router2) Which would suggest a faulty cable.

So I tested the installed cable with a cable tester, and it works fine if used as a typical network link. (PC to Router1)

I reconfigured the second modem/router's static IP address to be well away from the primary one's range and connected it via the installed cable ... and it worked! ... for 5 minutes then it lost it's IP address. I connected it immediately back to the loose cable and all is well.

So I'm now seriously confused and wondering what could be wrong. Cable? Router? Both?
Old 02-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

From your description, the cable looks to be the culprit

Closed Thread