Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

WiFi card acting crazy [Windows 10]

This is a discussion on WiFi card acting crazy [Windows 10] within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey all! I recently built my own gaming desktop and everything seems fine. The desktop has been in use for

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey all!

I recently built my own gaming desktop and everything seems fine. The desktop has been in use for over 2 months and very recently the network card has been acting up...

Sometimes I sign into windows and the network icon below displays a red X and no SSIDs are shown. Sometimes I sign in and it shows as connected, but then later, it goes back to the red X state for no reason.

When the computer is in this state, the wireless adapter disappears from the adapter list. I've included a screenshot that I hope will prove useful.
As of right now, the desktop is online and I'm currently on it. But I don't know when my network card is going to have another heart attack.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Please provide your system specs when you can. With regards to your wi-fi card, it seems you're using an Intel wi-fi card. May I ask, have you tried un-installing the drivers and re-installing the drivers?

Do you have a spare wi-fi card to try on your computer? Also, if you have other computers in the house, they can all access the internet fine and this is the only computer that's having issues right?

Old 10-14-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Hi there,

Please provide your system specs when you can. With regards to your wi-fi card, it seems you're using an Intel wi-fi card. May I ask, have you tried un-installing the drivers and re-installing the drivers?

Do you have a spare wi-fi card to try on your computer? Also, if you have other computers in the house, they can all access the internet fine and this is the only computer that's having issues right?
Specs:
Code:
https://speccy.piriform.com/results/OrL8l4zQK0CliYEAtLInYFW
All other computers can access the internet fine. I'm currently working online through an Ethernet cable. I'm downloading the wireless driver again to try re-installing.

I don't have a spare WiFi card lying around and I don't think the problem is hardware related because
(1) The wireless card supports BT as well (Which is working fine)
(2) I've done System Restores in the past that have worked as hot-fixes (but didn't last long).

Also if you're curious about the hardware, it's a GC-WB867D-I (rev. 4.2) network card.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 07:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've solved the problem.
It turns out I was infected with ransomware that Kaspersky failed to pickup.

How I dealt with it:

I noticed this when I tried to access some documents and photos and realized they were being corrupted in batches/groups.
After initiating a full scan with Kaspersky, nothing came up; but more and more files were being destroyed.

I booted into Safe Mode and went through some files for the virus and found it here:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft
Under the folder called "Crypto", which is what gave it away (having a suspicious name). Inside I found an executable called "SysJar.exe" along with a text file that has the /tree or indexes of my computer along with individual files. Also inside the Crypto folder were some system files which I'm assuming are cryptography algorithms and keys.
I deleted the executable with a file shredder, purged the startup of it and kept the rest of the folder's contents (which are now harmless).
I still have to go through the registry and find any recently made/changed keys.

Needless to say, I switched to Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 today.

Why I think that the virus was behind it all:

This sort of does make sense, as initiating a System Restore and going back to an earlier restore point did solve the problem, but only temporarily. So the virus was encrypting (or just corrupting) the driver files; but why only the wireless card? I don't know. I did have to re-download and install the driver though.

Thanks for your help.
Closed Thread