Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Who wants to educate me on 10GB ethernet?

This is a discussion on Who wants to educate me on 10GB ethernet? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello all! Quick bit of context - I am a Windows administrator recently given the task of upgrading a floor

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello all!

Quick bit of context - I am a Windows administrator recently given the task of upgrading a floor of my building's network to 10GB using minimal spend (and knowledge of networking hardware).

I purchased a 10GB Ethernet NIC for my Dell G5 Server with the hope that I could sling it in like any other NIC and be on my way.

However, the NIC does not have Ethernet ports but has slots available for 'Transceivers'.. This is where I am lost. Presumably I now need to purchase separately the transceivers, so should they be complete with Ethernet ports to then patch back to my switch (which is soon to be a shiny new 10GB Netgear piece) or some new fangled thing I'm yet to discover?

As you can probably tell I know next to nothing re networking hardware and cannot find a decent source of information on the matter.

Any help is much appreciated and any abuse to get correct information is welcomed to a certain level :-)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

What's the make/model of that 10 GB NIC?
Old 05-12-2014, 09:42 AM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Are you sure you got the right NIC?

Dell Broadcom Dual Port 10GBASE-T 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Network Interface Card : Networking | Dell

Old 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

No, no I'm not!

I spoke to our hardware supplier, gave them the server spec and they sent me a "HP NC522SFP Dual Port 10GBE Server Adapter"

HP NC522SFP DUAL PORT 10GbE NIC Network Card 468332-B21 468349-001 397740-001
Old 05-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

This might give some info https://www.techdata.com/%28S%28gec5g...Gigabit-v1.pdf

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
TSF Emeritus

lemoncowboy it takes more than a 10Gbe nic to make a 10Gbe network. You have to have a 10Gbe switch. I just spent $7K for one such beast when putting in a SAN.

The takeaway here is you just can't jump in with one foot. Or you are likely to slip and break everything.

This is a simple matter of either doing the homework [research] or getting a supplier that knows all of this and can best advise you.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks Joeten that's some useful info.

Wand3r3r - I know it takes more than just a NIC. We have a SAN we are migrating our company data to. The NIC is for the server with the iSCSI connector. Like I said we are getting a 10Gbe Netgear switch to run it from. From the document Joeten supplied I now know how to sort this using a Direct Attach Cable so thanks guys!!

Like I said, I'm pretty new to networking hardware but glad for the forums to get assistance where needed, even if its to point me in the way of information resources.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Glad the info proved useful.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
TSF Emeritus

Proper san design requires two switches. Before buying anything you need to review the design and the pieces/parts. Otherwise you will have a bunch of equipment you now own but can't use.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
Registered Member

I'll be honest I've not been involved at all in any design or planning for this, I just got pointed in the direction of a preferred supplier and told to ask for some 10GbE NICs.

May I enquire as to why there needs to be two switches for a proper SAN configuration?

Is there any documentation for an example or standard setup you could point me in the direction of?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Google will help https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=se...BbGZ1AX-7oDQDw

Old 05-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
TSF Emeritus

"May I enquire as to why there needs to be two switches for a proper SAN configuration?"

One word: failover

Now that you are establishing a network between your servers and the disk array [san] you need fault tolerance and instant failover.

I just spent almost $70k putting in a dell hybrid san [13TB with 9TB usable] with dual equalogic switches including ups's and a dell rack.

If you are mixing pieces and parts without first reviewing the design you may find this system does not work as desired. For example how are you backing this array up?

I suspect the proper research hasn't been put into this project.
Who is responsible for this working?
Closed Thread