Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Weird LAN problem - Fibre Modem .vs Switch

This is a discussion on Weird LAN problem - Fibre Modem .vs Switch within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Guys, Very strange problem I am having. I have a Fibre modem into a unmanaged switch from there cabled

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Very strange problem I am having.

I have a Fibre modem into a unmanaged switch from there cabled to a patch panel, this works fine, I can go from..

Fibre - > Switch -> Wifi router = OK
Fibre -> Switch -> LAN Port via Switch panel = Ok
Fibre -> Switch -> port on switch = Bad

Wifi works well but I have an 8 port switch so I plug a known working cross over cable (same one as I have from switch to patch panel) into Lan ports directly on the switch...and the bloody PS4 doesn't work.

I take the same cable and plug into my Laptop...nada, I swap the know working port that the wifi router plugged into and is working, Nada..

It's weird, it's not the PS4 cause the laptop works...same IP settings (gateway etc) and nothing, this is doing my head in, any suggestions cause I am really struggling.

Thanks for any suggestions (tried swearing at it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2016, 05:12 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawbaah View Post

I take the same cable and plug into my Laptop...nada, I swap the know working port that the wifi router plugged into and is working, Nada..

It's weird, it's not the PS4 cause the laptop works...
Sounds like neither device are working with that cable / port.

And why are you using a crossover cable? While newer switches can often auto detect the type of cable used and logically swap the connections of a port, not all switches have this ability and it doesn't always work properly. You should be using standard straight through patch cables. Crossover cables are typically only used when connecting two devices (such as two laptops) together without a switch in between.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

Good idea, I'll give that a shot.

It was what I had on hand and it seems to work in some cases but that could be the reason.

Thank you
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] my internet keep getting disconnecting connecting
Hi.I'm new on this forum.I got problem with my internet connection.It keeps dropping then connecting by itself.I cant download anything because in the middle it just drops.My connection is wireless and is cable.My other housemates who have laptops like me have no problem with connection.I took my...
jumrose123 Networking Support 52 03-21-2014 05:18 PM
A weird DSL problem
I am using a Teracom Wifi TypeII modem ISP is BSNL (India)-Other BSNL modem of my friends are working fin my wiring has been done properly withthe splitter....i am having DSL unstableness issues randomly It is not like every 1-2 hrs or every 15 minutes it just goes abruptly i got my old modem...
candyd Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 18 12-01-2011 05:30 AM
[SOLVED] weird problem with Tenda ADSL modem
hi all, few days back my modem got lighting striked and kill my old modem. i bought a new TENDA W300D modem and everything is fine now...except.... the modem will stop responding to my computer which is lan wired and even ping to modem ip 192.168.0.1 give 100% loss...:upset: why is this...
pete999 Networking Support 19 09-02-2011 01:20 PM
Weird networking problem
I am trying to help a friend who has an Apple PC on a wired LAN. The LAN has a DNS server located elsewhere on the network. His PC is connected directly with what looks like a TIA/EIA-T568B cable. When his Apple PC is directly wired back to the router, the PC gets it's LAN TCP/IP address and...
AzJazz Networking Support 12 04-06-2011 09:04 AM
Svr 2003 Std R2 - Weird LAN problem
Hi I have just installed Svr 2003 STD R2 on a Fujitsu Esprimo e5915 Yes - its a SFF desktop :rolleyes: The problem is getting the network up and running, and this is where it gets weird since I can not recieve any packets ..... When looking on the status window, Packets sent -...
ebbebrich Windows Servers 2 02-10-2011 03:39 AM