Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

URGENT HELP PLEASE-PATCH CABLE

This is a discussion on URGENT HELP PLEASE-PATCH CABLE within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have a patch panel and hardwiring already setup in my office. The patch panel is 24 port and all

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have a patch panel and hardwiring already setup in my office. The patch panel is 24 port and all the ports are engaged. All my switch ports are engaged.

Now, I have a printer connected to a wall point (rj45) which I want to shift to a new room where there is no LAN setup. I want to have two RJ45 wall plugs in the new room so that I can connect one RJ45 port to have my lan in the new room and the other RJ45 wall port I want to use for my printer

There is no option other than LAN (no wireless). Please help me and tell me how do I get the two RJ45 wall plate plugs in the new room up and keep my lan running.....it is a little urgent for me please help.

Additional Info: I have already wired and made the wallplates in the new room but i dont know where to connect the other ends (as I dont have any free ports or space either on the patch panel or switches)........please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #2
TSF Emeritus

Welcome to TSF!

You will need two new small 4 to 8 port switches and a patch cable.

Complete a single cable run from room to switch. Remove one cable from the existing switch and put it into the new switch. Use the new patch cable to go from new switch to 24 port switch.

Since the single cable run is now connected to the 24 port switch I would place the 2nd switch at the end in the room.

You know after you put the printer there you are going to want to put more devices there. Now you are ready.

Or buy a 48 port switch and another 24 port punchdown block. This is the way I would go thinking longer term but its your choice.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft to patch 20 vulnerabilities just in time for X'mas
Microsoft will issue 14 security bulletins next week to patch 20 vulnerabilities in Windows, Internet Explorer (IE), Office, and Windows Media Player. Among the patches will likely be ones to plug the hole used by the Duqu intelligence-gathering Trojan, and to fix the SSL (secure socket layer)...
Glaswegian Computer Security News 0 12-09-2011 12:18 PM
Dvd communication failure
Hey, Recently purchased the ODD Asus DRW-24B1ST. It will read a disc but when I try to burn anything I get a communication failure, even burning at low speeds. When I try to update the firmware I get: Error no matched drive detected This utility is only for ASUS DRW-24B1ST drive. Detected...
The_Doc Other Hardware Support 5 11-28-2011 04:39 PM
72 Meter Ethernet Cable not working
Hi everyone, I am trying to connect a pc with a cable modem using a cat5 UTP cable. I initially checked all the wires of the cable with a meter and then punched the RJ45 connectors to both ends and also checked them with a cable testing device and the straight through mappings were correct,...
techman23 Networking Support 13 11-21-2011 11:03 AM
[SOLVED] patch vs ethernet cable
Hi. I want to install a new cable for my computer in the forth floor, and i have a cable here the shows cat 5e patch cable. So i want to know what is the difference between patch and ethernet cable and if this good to be installed from the first floor up to the forth floor. Thank you in...
frank86 Cabling and Network Cards 3 07-13-2011 10:01 PM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in today’s modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM