Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Updating Network Adapter - TPLINK

This is a discussion on Updating Network Adapter - TPLINK within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Guys, So I'm having issues with my current network adapter, I'll attach some links as I go so you

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Guys,

So I'm having issues with my current network adapter, I'll attach some links as I go so you know what I'm using. I've recently moved into an apartment with double brick walls and connection for my computer is an ongoing problem, my computer is perhaps 10 metres away using a Huawei HG659 it will connect at times although it drops in and out.

TP-LINK TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter, Atheros, 2T2R, 2.4GHz, 802.11n/g/b, 2 det - Umart.com.au (Current Adapter)

I was thinking about getting the adapter I've attached below, as it seems to be a more medium ranged and higher specs
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 - 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter - Umart.com.au (Mid Range)

Then I also saw this one, although haven't really look further into the specifications.
D-Link DWA-582 Wireless AC1200 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter - Umart.com.au (High Range)

My confusion is I have an assortment of wireless devices I use from the room where my computer is located and they all work fine with good connection?

It is only my computer that has connection and speed issues.

Do you have any suggestions for me or tips/tricks you recommend I could try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Lets take a peek at your network environment:

Please Download and run this Xirrus WiFi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here. For Vista and Windows 7, 8 you can use the Windows Snipping Tool

Old 06-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Rich,

Thanks for replying, I have since propped my tower up on a box to "improve" the signal, i get a slightly better connection.

From exactly the same room with my phone/laptop I have access to 4 other modems in the area, where as my computer only reaches 2-3 at a time.

I'm unsure if another network card would improve this?

Look forward to your reply! Thanks again for your time and help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	307890

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	307898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 04:06 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Very weak signal! Is there anything metallic that could be blocking the signal on the PC ?

Old 06-14-2017, 05:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Not directly near it no, there's a filing cabinet about 3 metres away from it. The PC is under a desk in a room that's brick walled... although I can see into the lounge room where the modem is located, I can't make direct eye contact with the modem although pretty close to it. My only thought is buying a new network card or getting a stronger antenna?

I have 2x 2dbi antenna on TP-LINK TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter, Atheros, 2T2R, 2.4GHz, 802.11n/g/b, 2 det - Umart.com.au

Do you think if I kept the same network adapter and used got 2x 5dbi antennas that would improve the signal strength?

My only concern is buying this network adapter TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 - 450Mbps Wireless N Dual Band PCI Express Adapter - Umart.com.au wouldn't necessarily increase the strength as it is pretty much the same spec but have 3x 2dbi antennas and it also has a dual band frequency of 2.4ghz and 5ghz and the 5ghz wouldn't help me as it has a shorter range than the 2.4ghz
Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

I would look for one with antenna that can be extended by cable to get it up and away for what ever is blocking it

https://www.amazon.com/802-11ac-Wire...ternal+antenna

Closed Thread