Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Update connection problem with NIC.... help?

This is a discussion on Update connection problem with NIC.... help? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. First of all, this is my first post on these boards... so hey everybody! Ok so I've been having a

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:27 AM   #1

Exclamation

First of all, this is my first post on these boards... so hey everybody!

Ok so I've been having a problem (actually a fairly long running problem) with my new Alienware PC that has led me to believe I needed to update my NIC driver.

After a quick search to the Killer website, I downloaded their "Version 4.0.0.6 Windows Vista 32 bit - Killer Software Suite" and installed it, successfully updating my NIC drivers..... but disabling my internet at the same time.

At first I thought this was a fluke, so I tried all the obvious stuff.... rebooting, reconnecting my modem, changing wires etc. I also played around with the NIC settings and still got nothing.

Finally I uninstalled my NIC driver....... internet works...... reinstalled...... internet stops. You get the picture.

So, I'm completely in the left field, I have no clue where I need to go from here. I'm hoping you all can give me a hand!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Citizen of the world

Well, first off, that sounds like the wrong NIC driver, that would seem pretty clear.

What we really need to know is what issues lead you to believe you need to update that driver?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #3

Well my PC restarts randomly, sometimes when I'm on the internet and sometimes when I'm gaming (mostly when I'm gaming). It used to be a freeze, but now I get the BSOD with the message "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal".

Doing research on this error, many people have had success getting rid of it (and their restarting problems) with updating their NIC drivers (interestingly enough, they almost all had NIC). So therefore I decided it would be best to do the same.

I have a suspicion that it has something to do with my heat sink or cooling rather than software, but I don't know what I can do for that at the moment since I'm pretty much broke. And since the PC restarts on little things, like checking my email or browsing the web, it doesn't seem likely that it's something as simple as new fans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Citizen of the world

That error can be from many sources, if the network is working before the issue, there's no particular reason to suspect it's the network drivers.

If it used to freeze and now it's getting the BSOD, I'd be doing a comprehensive memory test overnight first. Here's a couple of good tests, run either one overnight, you should have NO errors of any kind.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86
Closed Thread