Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Unable to see Computers on network when connected through router

This is a discussion on Unable to see Computers on network when connected through router within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When i connect internet Ethernet cable to laptop directly i can see list of computers on network. But when i

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member

When i connect internet Ethernet cable to laptop directly i can see list of computers on network. But when i connect the ethernet cable to a wireless router and then connect through other ethernet cable from one LAN port of the router i can surf the internet but i cannot see any computers on the network which earlier i use to see.

What might be the problem .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

What firewall is being used on all the pc's? ?

Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have temporarily turned off firewall on my pc. Also as i mentioned earlier when i connect my laptop without router i can see list of computers in network, i cannot see it only when i connect through router.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 10:37 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

What firewall was it ? . .

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

i am using windows 7..so windows 7 firewall
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
TSF Emeritus

"when i connect the ethernet cable to a wireless router and then connect through other ethernet cable from one LAN port of the router i can surf the internet but i cannot see any computers on the network which earlier i use to see."

This is because you are in a different subnet [lan] than the other pcs.

If you connect your 2nd router per this guide you will be in the same lan and see everyone again.

Connecting Additional Routers | Tech Support Forum
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

Actually i am connecting only one router. there is no second router at all.

My internet WAN connection is connected to incoming WAN port of the router and then i have connected my laptop to one of the outgoing ethernet LAN port.

Please help me with this if there is any proper solution. One of my friend told it can be done by port forwarding. But i dont know exactly how to do it.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #8
Networking Team Emeritus

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

Are all the other computers connected to the same wireless router as your laptop wirelessly or wired?

Is netbios over TCP enabled on all devices i.e computers or UPNP for gaming consoles, printers etc?

The router may have an option within its Lan or wireless settings that is called AP isolation this needs to be unchecked if it has the option for devices to see each other.

To post a screenshot:

Click Go advanced next to Submit Reply.
Click arrow next to paperclip.

Under Upload File from your computer

Click to browse to your file(Name of screenshot).
Click Upload

Click Upload File From a URL
Click Upload

Click on arrow beside paperclip
Click Manage Attachments to Add or Remove attachments

Click on name of File
[/CENTER]
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Registered Member

The computers are not connected to same wireless router. 3 computers are connected to 3 different routers in 3 different home.

We have cablenet connection. if we connect pc directly without we can access each othes pc and share files also. The only problem we face is when we connect wireless router.

is there any solution for this.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #10
Networking Team Emeritus

OS: W8 Prox64,Windows 7 Ult 64-Bit SP1, Mac OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion, Android 4.1.1 Jellybean, IOS 6

My System

So three different routers in different homes I understand.

I assume with the cablenet connection in each of the homes there is an ethernet socket in which you can connect either a computer direct into it and see and connect with other computers directly connected to the ethernet socket for cablenet which probably connects to a router provided by cablenet or your service provider. When you connect direct to their connection you can file share and access each others computers because they are in the same subnet as Wand3r3r has pointed out.

Is that how cablenet is setup.

When you add a wireless router and connect that to the wall socket for the cablenet the router gets an WAN IP address to it's WAN interface and then any computers will receive an LAN IP address when connected to the router wired by ethernet cable or wirelessly which puts any devices into a different Lan subnet making them invisible and no access is permitted.

The guide that Wand3r3r provided in #6 would acheive putting all those routers in one subnet as the main router that you all use to connect but you would need access to the router settings in order to acheive this and it is not clear you have that access.

Do you have access to the router and it's settings or is that in control of your ISP(cablenet)?

To post a screenshot:

Click Upload

Click Upload

Click on name of File
[/CENTER]
Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Registered Member

The wireless WIFI router which we connect in our home is brought by us so that we can get wireless access inside our house. i have been given a username and password which i had configured in router so that i dont need to dialup the connection again and again.

our ISP has put a switch from which we have got 3 different connections.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Networking Team Emeritus

My System

Ths ISP supplied switch is just in one house or a switch in three houses just trying to get a picture?

To post a screenshot:

Click Upload

Click Upload

Click on name of File
[/CENTER]
Old 09-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #13
Registered Member

I just now followed the guide provided by Wand3r3r and now i can see whole computers in a network and also can connect to my friends Pc. But as this problem is solved i am facing another major problem.

Since i have put the connection in the LAN point of the router rather than WAN i cannot access my wireless internet on my mobile.

Also earlier i i had configured my login details in router which would automatically start the internet. But now i have to create a new PPPOE connection and dial it whenever i need to connect to internet.

Can this problem be solved ?
Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Networking Team Emeritus

My System

Yes PPoE details are a sticking point as I know each of you will have their own account details which are to do with each individual account to each household.

Because you all have seperate PPoE connection details you will all have to authenticate from individual computers with your own PPoE settings configured by setting up an internet connection in network and sharing centre and choose broadband connection and set as default so it connects everytime with your username and password. Router WAN settings will need to be set to DHCP unless you have static IP details from ISP.

On any android or IOS(apple) devices you will need to download a wi-fi PPoE app to do authentification on those devices.

To post a screenshot:

Click Upload

Click Upload

Click on name of File
[/CENTER]
Old 09-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
Registered Member

I did not understood the "Router WAN settings will need to be set to DHCP unless you have static IP details from ISP." sentence you have mentioned above. i dont have static IP given by my ISP.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
Networking Team Emeritus

My System

Ok lets just step back a little here and have a bit of confirmation please bear with me.

1. Do you all have seperate PPoE connection details given to you by cablenet?

2. You have one router connected to the switch directly using it's WAN port?

3. You have one router from 2nd house now connected to the router above but connected from it's Lan port to the above routers Lan port.

Then you have a router from the third house connected in a Lan to Lan port configuration to the router in step 2?

Please confirm what i ahve asked only please.

To post a screenshot:

Click Upload

Click Upload

Click on name of File
[/CENTER]
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #17
Registered Member

Hi,

I have attach diagram as to how the complete picture look like.

As you can see one direct fibre optic cable has come nearby our place. From there a Cat5 cable is connected to switch. From that switch 3 seperate connections are gone to 3 houses. Upto this there is no router connected anywhere. Now I have connected a wireless router in my house for wireless connectivity. Similarly other 2 have also done the same thing.

We have been given seperate login details by our ISP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Note_20130609_215646_01.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	131457  
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #18
TSF Emeritus

Make and model of this switch?

From a pc connected to house 1 and house 2 do a ipconfig /all and post the results for review
Old 09-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #19
Registered Member

I dont know the make and model as i havent seen it yet.

Shall i post the ipconfig results after connecting router or without connecting router.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #20
TSF Emeritus

Since you have configured the routers per the link I gave you the pcs should be connected to the routers.
Closed Thread