Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Strange speed issue.

This is a discussion on Strange speed issue. within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I'm having some difficulties with my upload speed and I'd really appreciate if an expert comment on this. Let

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I'm having some difficulties with my upload speed and I'd really appreciate if an expert comment on this. Let me explain the situation.
I have a gigabit internet from the ISP. The upload speed however is bellow 100Mb/s at all times and that's normal.
What I don't think is normal is that my upload speed is twice as high when I'm on a 100Mb/s link with the ISP vs 1Gb/s link.
I.E. If I have an upload speed of 30Mb/s on Gb link, I get 60-70-80 (but at least twice as high) on a 100Mb link negotiation.
Apparently all the wires are connected, hence I have Gb link at all, but is it possible all of this to be due to some interference between pairs along the cable to the hub/optical multiplexor.
I'm connected with it with cat 5e lan cable.
Many thanks in advance, sorry if my explanation is a bit vague, but I'm no expert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 AM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Please list your network set up. What is the brand/model of your router? Also, how many computers are on your network?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
Hi there,

Please list your network set up. What is the brand/model of your router? Also, how many computers are on your network?
I have MikroTik RB850Gx2, but this problem is persistent with or without a router, and with any device directly connected to the ISP's cable.p.s. It exists with any device regardless of the configuration - whether is directly connected with the ISP, behind NAT, single device, multiple devices on the network. I tried everything except changing the cable to the multiplexor (sry if that's not what it's called).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #4
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Hi there,

If you're talking about the subscribed bandwidth with your ISP, it won't make that much difference whether your using 100Mbps/1000Mbps ethernet. It seems like the bottleneck is occurring in your network on what type of internet activities is going on - e.g. video streaming, downloading/uploading heavy files, etc... You should monitor the high usage/activities.

Would you mind posting your Speedtest?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:47 AM   #5
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Contact your ISP. Or simply use whichever setup is faster.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xg View Post
Hi there,

If you're talking about the subscribed bandwidth with your ISP, it won't make that much difference whether your using 100Mbps/1000Mbps ethernet. It seems like the bottleneck is occurring in your network on what type of internet activities is going on - e.g. video streaming, downloading/uploading heavy files, etc... You should monitor the high usage/activities.

Would you mind posting your Speedtest?
@2xg:

I'm sorry for the delay, here's what I mean:
I'm using distant enough server intentionally, so the upload can be under 100Mb/s in both cases and I can demonstrate better.
This 1st test is on 1Gb/s link:
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results
Here is the same server on 100Mb/s link:
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

The 'problem' is persistent at all times with all kinds of configurations and client devices.
p.s. I don't have any other network activities/connected devices during the tests.

@ JimE:
Thanks for the input, I've contacted the ISP and the guys said this is the first time they're hearing about something like that. Ironically, it's the first time I'm encountering something like that as well.
Closed Thread