Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

[SOLVED] New, better external wireless card much slower than old internal card. What

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] New, better external wireless card much slower than old internal card. What within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I bought an external wireless card that is described as better than my internal card in every way. My old

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Psychotron Send a message via MSN to Psychotron Send a message via Yahoo to Psychotron

I bought an external wireless card that is described as better than my internal card in every way. My old card (an internal wireless card) was a D-Link DWA-566 Wireless N 300 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter. I have Comcast cable modem. I was able to use my full potential of over 50 Mbps. Using this external card (which is a TRENDnet 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter). It is only giving me about 8Mbps. The external one is right on top of my PC so it is close.

Can anyone say what might be going wrong and how to fix it? I'm not familiar with wireless cards, but I believe the internal card is compliant with every "standard" (n/g/b/a). So is the external card. I think my internal card was running on "a", but when I look in the list of wireless cards "a" does not appear on my external cards console window. It does appear for some other people near me though.

I don't know how to change it to "a". I've read the documentation and it doesn't mention any of this.

My old Internal card: D-Link DWA-566 Wireless N 300 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter
My new Internal card: TRENDnet 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter

Thank you,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Psychotron Send a message via MSN to Psychotron Send a message via Yahoo to Psychotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotron View Post
My old Internal card: D-Link DWA-566 Wireless N 300 Dual Band PCIe Desktop Adapter
My new Internal card: TRENDnet 450Mbps Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter
I meant my new *external card is the TRENDnet one. Not internal.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #3
TSF Emeritus

What router make/model are you connecting to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
Registered Member

It's a Cisco Linksys E1200
Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
TSF Emeritus

IEEE 802.11 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lists the 4 types of wifi a,b,g and n

https://www.neighbourhoodwireless.ca/...isco_e1200.pdf
If you go to the specifications page of your routers manual you will see it only supports b,g and n. No a.

You wouldn't want to use a anyway since its slower than the others.

You don't configure the wifi card as to what it uses. You configure the router to what it provides. Since both are N cards I would set wifi to use only N and see what the results are.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thank you for looking into it and the help. I accidentally moved it just less than 2 feet, and it works perfectly now. I supposed I should have tried that first, but I placed it immediately next to the router so I thought it would be perfect. As long as it is about 2 or more feet away from the router everything is as it should be. It went from 8Mbps to 57Mbps.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
TSF Emeritus

you should be getting better rates than that. N range is 54 Mbit/s to 600 Mbit/

You are at the bottom end of that. Might review the router and card settings
Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Registered Member

I think because my ISP gives me up to about 50Mbps
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #9
TSF Emeritus

We are talking your connection between your host and the router via wifi. This has nothing to do with the internet connection. This is the lan connection.

Configure both the router and card to do the max available which would be in the 300 to 600mbps range.
Closed Thread