Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Can't find proper Wi-Fi drivers

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Can't find proper Wi-Fi drivers within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, A friend of mine was having problems with his laptop and decided to format it. He was able

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine was having problems with his laptop and decided to format it. He was able to get all drivers working except his Wi-Fi. His laptop is a HP Envy 7 j-170ca Leap Motion SE Notebook. When I did some looking, it turns out that the laptop was originally Windows 8.1 (it's a very new computer) but he put Windows 7 Professional on it. For Windows 8.1, HP has a list of a bunch of Wi-Fi drivers that it could use ( Link), but for Windows 7, there's only one and it doesn't do anything ( Link).

I've tried to look at Device Manager to try and get the Device IDs for it, but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps, it's much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Try the ones for Windows 8, they should work unless they were specifically only written for Windows 8. Another option if you know who makes the adapter is to get the driver from their site instead of HP. It's typically Intel, Broadcom, Realtek or Qualcom.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for replying.

I don't know who the maker of the adapter is. Would installing multiple drivers cause problems? I'm afraid of trying to install some of the drivers in case they clash with the proper one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try the Unknown Device Identifier . . it will ID most unknown devicdes

Old 01-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you so much Old Rich!

Turned out it was Intel Wireless 7260. With that I was able to find the proper drivers and everything is working.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Great!

Closed Thread