Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

[SOLVED] best cabling type for interlinks between major components?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] best cabling type for interlinks between major components? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We're switching to 100% gigabit here and I pulled about 20 non-gigabit capable cables. None were in our server room

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
des
Registered Member

We're switching to 100% gigabit here and I pulled about 20 non-gigabit capable cables. None were in our server room because I'm not that dumb but I was thinking, since we're ordering new cabling, I should probably get the nicest cabling available to go from our modem to our routers to our servers.

So Cat5e can carry gigabit but Cat6 has a higher theoretical frequency carrying ability due to less resistance and less magnetic something or other from more frequent twists, and potentially higher quality or thicker copper. Cat7 can carry a much higher frequency and I think it can run at 10 gigabits but none of our equipment supports that. Still, it's a nicer made cable so my theory is in 1 in 1000 packets drop over Cat 5e and 1 in 100,000 drop over Cat 7 then when not for a $3 difference?

So is there any detriment to using Cat7 on non-Cat7 equipment? And is there anything else i should be considering like wire gauge and shielding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
TSF Emeritus

Cable has nothing to do with dropped packets. That happens on the end points. All the 10 and 40Gbe I see are using SFP+ cables. You don't need shielding unless you are running lines by EMF sources. I would do Cat6 which should carry you for quite some time.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
des
Registered Member

Thanks for the great answer! Our server room is a minefield of EM radiation since one of the main breaker boxes is a few feet from our switch. The ethernet from the server is practically wrapped around the main power outlet for our entire server rack. I didn't set it up that way, by the way. The last guy did :P I had read that unless your switch supports Cat7 then the side connectors don't touch anything and you gain no benefit so I'll definitely go with regular Cat6. I heard a rumor that Cat6A are significantly better but more easily damaged by wire ties and bad routing and that is a factor in our server room so I'll stay away from them and instead move to shielded + foil cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
TSF Emeritus

Do understand if using shielded cables that they need to be grounded. You can't use the electrical system ground. It needs to be an independent ground. Otherwise you can have electrical system bleed over and that defeats the purpose of the shielding.
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
des
Registered Member

I was wondering about that because EM radiation won't flow if there's no complete circuit. I'll see if I can have one put in when we mod the APC UPS's main.
Closed Thread