Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

signal problems in wireless home network

This is a discussion on signal problems in wireless home network within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey I have an issue with wireless signal for my pc.. My router is a netgear wireless (model unsure as

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Confused

Hey
I have an issue with wireless signal for my pc.. My router is a netgear wireless (model unsure as at work) is 2 floors above me and cant be moved. I currently have a TP-Link 108mbps SuperG Wireless PCI Adapter which picks up a small to modest signal but is not consistent and i have to disconnect and reconnect. My girlfriends/sisters laptop get great signal and my ipod touch get great signal but not my pc.
is it my netwok card that the problem. Should i get a new pci wireless card or do i just need to get a better antenna to boost the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

things to try these in this order;
- lower the speed on the network card on your PC, with lower speed it may stay connected longer.
-try and change the orientation of the antenna on the router. Omni-directional antennas spread across a horizontal plain..
-change the channel you router operates on, it may be conflicting with another network in your area... use 1, 6 or 11
-buy a wireless card for you PC that has an external antenna, i know linksys sells one (its for a N network)
-buy a high gain antenna for your router

Cheers
FaBriC

Mod edit: remove advertising
Old 01-23-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Citizen of the world

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

That sound great! Im just in the middle of building a new pc at the moment and so off to buy some new components and gonna keep my eye out for those hawking products. I have read somewhere that they will do the job.

Thanks so much for you help will update and let you know what signal i get.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Citizen of the world

Note that many similar antenna products are produced by a number of companies, they'll all perform similarly.
Closed Thread