Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Shielded or Unshielded Ethernet cables What would be the right choice?

This is a discussion on Shielded or Unshielded Ethernet cables What would be the right choice? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Shielded or Unshielded Ethernet cables: What would be the right choice for Internet networking?

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #1
Troubled

Shielded or Unshielded Ethernet cables: What would be the right choice for Internet networking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Shielded cables more effectively block interference.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Unshielded is the usual choice but it depends on what the cable is passing near.

You only use shielded cables in areas where you traverse high EMF areas. For example large generators or factory equipment. Shielded cable needs to be grounded so the connections are not just plug and play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 AM   #4
Troubled

Digital Signal Processing is the process of transmission and production of data that takes place without any interference. This process asks for an Ethernet Cable. Most of the wired networks of today including routers, PCs and switches use Ethernet cables for the smooth transmission of data. These Ethernet Cables are of two types Shielded and Unshielded. They are also known as STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) and UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair). The question that arises next is - which one out of the two you should buy? To find this out, make sure you know about the environment you need Ethernet cables for. One of the major reasons behind networks slowing down is - voltage interference. Hence, you must make sure that the electrical line intersects with low voltage communication cable at 90 degrees.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] my internet keep getting disconnecting connecting
Hi.I'm new on this forum.I got problem with my internet connection.It keeps dropping then connecting by itself.I cant download anything because in the middle it just drops.My connection is wireless and is cable.My other housemates who have laptops like me have no problem with connection.I took my...
jumrose123 Networking Support 52 03-21-2014 05:18 PM
Windows Xp slow boot after splash screen
After the Windows Xp splash screen I get about 30 to 40 seconds of blackness (could be more) before the cursor appears. When I start in Safe Mode it takes a long time to load mup.sys but that could just be because it's the last one to load. Here's by most recent ntbtlog.txt: Service...
Sulla Windows XP Support 5 06-17-2013 10:29 AM
ethernet cables? What to use?
I am redoing my house and am trying to update the technology. I was going to run Ethernet cables to each room. What would be the best cable to use? Fastest? Or is there some other cable that would work better?
crayzhawkfan Modems/Cable/DSL/Satellite 4 05-04-2011 08:49 AM
How to I join two ethernet cables ?
How to I join two ethernet cables without using a switch ? They are same as cat5 cables right ? Is there some sort of adapter to connect two together ? If so, what is it called ? Are they cheap to buy ?
zhong Networking Support 1 03-20-2011 08:16 AM
Incomplete XP sp3 Ethernet Boot-Up
PC Hardware Troubleshooting - Ethernet Network Interface Initialization Problems Hardware: A 6-year old Gateway 825 GM Desktop Computer - Windows XP MCE 2005 SP3 - Phoenix BIOS - Built-in Marvel Yukon 88 E 8050 Gigabit Ethernet - Hard wired with an Ethernet cable to a D-Link DIR 825 V 1.01 Router...
emg-gwy Other Hardware Support 2 01-15-2011 08:35 PM