Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Run wire or access points??

This is a discussion on Run wire or access points?? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. We are a church with a house on the property that already has your basic bundle of cable, wifi, and

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

We are a church with a house on the property that already has your basic bundle of cable, wifi, and hotspot. The chapel s 30 meters away. We need to hard wire one computer and use wifi in chapel. How do we do this? We inquire with cable company ( spectrum) but said we could use access points for wifi but would not be able hardware a computer from access point..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Sounds like they were trying to sell you extra services.

Wireless extenders have wired network points as you can see from this link if you look at the back of the extender.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rodtag65536-20

Do understand that weather, trees/obstacles in line of sight will affect performance. If you can run a network cable that would be my recommendation for a number of reasons mostly performance and security.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

30 meters isn't really that far to run a network cable unless you're dealing with a paved parking lot or similar obstacles.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
30 meters isn't really that far to run a network cable unless you're dealing with a paved parking lot or similar obstacles.
Yeah, 30 meters is not a great distance. CAT5E or CAT6 copper has a distance limit of 100 meters (328 feet). 30 meters you're talking about almost 100 feet. You can have an electrician run a length of 1.5"-2" conduit piping from house to chapel and run the copper through it.

It sounds like you already have Wi-Fi in the house. Assuming you have a Wi-Fi router, and just about all come with at least 4 LAN (wired) ports, you can run the copper from this device to a Wireless Extender like mentioned by GentleArrow.

This will give you the ability to connect the wired computer you need in the chapel and also have Wireless connectivity.
Closed Thread