Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

RJ45 Wiring, split one ethernet cable into two

This is a discussion on RJ45 Wiring, split one ethernet cable into two within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I am new here, hoping to get some help, TIA We all know that the most commonly used

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I am new here, hoping to get some help, TIA

We all know that the most commonly used RJ45 wiring scheme is T-568B with 8 wires. However, I just realized that only pings 1, 2, 3 and 6 are used by Ethernet, even in a POE configuration. My question is if we can split an Ethernet wire in to two and use it with two devices. The reason for this question is that I am trying to add a road side security camera on to a pole which is far away from the router and very difficult to pull another ethernet cable.

Another question is that if anyone know which pings on RJ45 are for TX and RX and which pings are for the power in POE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

The Orange pair, and Green pair are used for TX-RX, the Blue, and Brown pairs are not used.

However I think POE uses the same pairs as TX-RX.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

So, if I do not want POE can I split the Ethernet wire into two by two RJ45s connecting the Orange Green pairs into the first RJ45 pins 1236 and the blue brown pairs into another RJ45 pins 1236, on both end of the cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

The yellow highlights are unused:

Old 02-23-2018, 02:38 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

I have never tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:36 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

If it's concealed, then better to let it stay as is, so in the future you can switch to a different pin-out if one of the wires fail.

Closed Thread