Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

RJ11 to RJ45 cable - should I use one?

This is a discussion on RJ11 to RJ45 cable - should I use one? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, UK user here. We recently got BT Infinity at our property together with the new (at the time of

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 03:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Question

Hi,

UK user here. We recently got BT Infinity at our property together with the new (at the time of posting) BT Smart Hub. Just the other day I installed the new NTE 5C master socket to replace the 5A socket (first time ever doing that kind of thing, was actually quite easy), plus I put the corresponding VDSL filtered faceplate over the top, and it improved our broadband speed quite a bit. Before I did this we were only getting about 2.7Mbps at best until the connection dropped and lowered the speed, but now we so far have a stable 7.1Mbps (we live in the countryside so speed is at a premium here ).

I noticed from a couple of videos I watched (like the one below) that the data socket on the faceplate not only accepts an RJ11 connection, but also accommodates an RJ45 plug. After a bit more research I noticed you can buy cables which have an RJ11 plug on one end and an RJ45 on the other.

I currently have just a double-ended RJ11 cable for our Smart Hub to provide our fibre. My question is whether it's actually worth it to buy one of these RJ11-to-RJ45 cables and use that instead, with the RJ11 end going to the Hub and the other end going into the wall? Or would this not really make any difference to speed? Or is this not how it works?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 04:54 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

IMO, I don't think this would be a good idea. RJ-11 is designed for telephone cabling which is analog. RJ-45 is designed for data cabling which is digital. RJ-11 has four cables, RJ-45 has 8 cables or 4 pairs. Not that it can't be done, you can purchase adapters with RJ-45 on one end and RJ-11 on the other.

What are you exactly trying to accomplish by trying this?
Old 12-13-2016, 05:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thanks for the reply,

It was more a question of if I would actually achieve anything good, like for example a (slightly) faster connection or maybe provide a more stable connection with less connection drops (I wouldn't know, hence why I posted here). Thus I wasn't looking for any specific benefit, I suppose it's more of a hypothetical question just to satisfy my curiosity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Forgot to also add that there really isn't any beneficial gain as the difference in signaling would cause you to have problems or no connection at all.

Glad I was able to help. Have a great day.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

phones only use two lines. Four lines provides for two phones each on their own number. Wouldn't matter if you used rj45 at both ends since the system at each end would only use two lines for the phone connection. It is common now in the US to wire houses using Cat6/5 for phones though the termination would be rj11 at the outlet.
Closed Thread