Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Potential "Broadcom" Wifi Error on startup

This is a discussion on Potential "Broadcom" Wifi Error on startup within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, So for a while now I've been running Windows 7 on my laptop before switching to Windows 10.

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 04:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

So for a while now I've been running Windows 7 on my laptop before switching to Windows 10.

However, my laptop was originally on Windows 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 via the Windows Update. After a while I became fed-up with the splash screen whenever I opened anything and also the Metro card system didn't give me any benefits - generally it wasn't a great experience compared to what I was used to on Windows 7. But anyway...

I had an install disc for Windows 7 which I downgraded to and then realised that my WiFi adapter built into the laptop wasn't working due to a lack of drivers and Windows Update didn't pick up on this. After quite a bit of work I managed to track down the exact driver files I needed to get it working again and downloaded them from Broadcom (or their related manufacturer).

Following this driver install the WiFi card has been working fine ever since, though on the laptop's start-up it now comes up with the attached message.

My thoughts were that I would be able to upgrade to Windows 10 and the problem would sort itself out from there but unfortunately that hasn't happened, possibly because I decided to upgrade rather than doing a fresh install?

As I say the WiFi is working perfectly fine but the message on start-up is getting very annoying and also obviously slows down the start-up process while it attempts to find something which obviously isn't there.

Apologies for the long explanation but there was quite a bit to cover! Any thoughts on how I could fix this?

Cheers,

KugarWeb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160129_075555 (1).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	270386  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I assume you are seeing that "error" before Windows actually loads from the HDD?

Check your boot order. Those type of errors typically indicate the system is trying to boot from LAN, failing, and then continuing onto the next device (ie: HDD).

Old 01-29-2016, 05:36 AM   #3
Registered Member

That's right yes, before anything else loads it comes up with that error (following the standard manufacturer messaging but before Windows loads up).

Great, will have a look in the BIOS - didn't think of that!
Closed Thread