Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

PC can't detect modem

This is a discussion on PC can't detect modem within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My system specs My modem I moved my PC from one room to another and suddenly it couldn't find my

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

My system specs
My modem

I moved my PC from one room to another and suddenly it couldn't find my modem anymore. It was working in the first room on the same modem, connected to the same port. A second machine in the new room CAN connect to the same modem and internet just fine. A third machine can use the same ethernet chord and modem port as the first and connects just fine. Safe to say there's something wrong with machine 1. I re-installed Windows fresh, along with manually installing each motherboard driver and still no dice.

ipconfig/all returns:
Windows IP COnfiguration
  • Node Type: Hybrid
  • IP Routing Enabled: NO
  • WINS Proxy Enabled: NO
Ethernet adapter Ethernet
  • Media state: Media disconnected
  • Description: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
  • DHCP Enabled: YES
  • Autoconfiguration Enabled: YES

I didn't rattle the machine in the move. What on earth could have caused this machine to lose its ability to connect to a modem!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Without the complete ipconfig output (including the IP Address), I would try a
ipconfig /release then a ipconfig /renew

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

First and foremost, just an FYI. While it is likely a modem, if it has multiple ports for device connectivity and/or wifi, it is actually a modem/router combo. The modem side connects to your ISP, the router side connects to your devices.

Having said that, are you getting "link" light indicator when you plug in the cable? The "link" indicator is typically a green LED. When a computer is connected to the router, you should get a link indicator on the router port and on the computer NIC. If you aren't getting link, there is a hardware fault. If you have link, then it's likely a config issue on the PC.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search