Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

optical fibre testing

This is a discussion on optical fibre testing within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there; I am new in the filed of optical fiber networks; having said that I have to test a

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there;

I am new in the filed of optical fiber networks; having said that I have to test a link using OTDR as well as OPTICAL POWER METER make GW3200A.
On its light source (make GW3100C) it shows the Frequency as expected but on the power meter the out put is in dBm.

Now my question is:
1. How do I know what frequency must i set my light source to and how do i know my out put are relative / corresponds to the initial light power form the source?
I cannot find the device usage information online.

Please assist in those regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

The most common fiber wavelengths are 850nm, 1300nm.
A lot of fiber knowledge here
Fiber Optics Association website; The Fiber Optic Association - Reference Guide To Fiber Optics - Table of Contents

Here is a link for calculating fiber "Loss Budgets"
Calculating Fiber Optic Loss Budgets

As for your specific equipment, look through the owners manual.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to upgrade existing system to Optical Wiring?
We recently purchased a home that came with a Sony SAVO 500 unit pre-installed in the walls. I'll start by saying I'm completely naive in this space. We are looking to purchase a new TV and it seems like the vast majority of the TVs only have "Digital Audio Out (Optical)". When I look at the...
UDcc123 Home Theater 7 06-07-2014 06:51 PM
Optical Driver Problems When Installing Windows 7
Hi I have just built a computer and I am installing windows 7 onto it. I have a disk and I have placed it in my optical drive. I then set my computer to boot from the disk in the BIOS. It tells me that it is loading files. I then select I want to install windows, but then it tells me that it...
Kalinco Driver Support 9 03-30-2014 04:41 AM
Connecting SATA 12.5mm drives through IDE optical bay slots
Hello everyone. :wave: I have an Alienware Area 51 M7700 running WINXP SP3. It has two IDE hard drive slots. I have two SATA 9.5mm hard drives connected to these slots using a SATA to IDE cable. These two drives work perfectly, and are recognized by WINXP with no issues or errors. This...
browsebot Hard Drive Support 6 05-03-2011 02:05 PM
DVD/CD optical drive is recognized only occasionally and temporarily
Hi, I recently bought an ASUS Essentio desktop model CG8350 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. My DVD/CD optical drive is not consistently being recognized. I've made few changes to the computer and have even tried reinstalling Windows (system recovery, factory settings), but no luck. The...
mcmmm Removable Media Drives 9 02-23-2011 05:39 AM
HDMI Coaxial Optical 5.1 and 7.1
Hello! Why exactly does a coaxial audio connection and an optical audio connection only support 5.1 sound, but a HDMI audio connection supports 7.1 sound? In theory, wouldn't an optical cable be able to support way more bandwidth then an electrical cable such as coax or HDMI? Is the reason...
GeoMoon5 Home Theater 1 01-11-2011 06:30 PM