Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Non functional Ethernet port

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tristar 
#1 ·
Dell XPS 8700. Win 10 Home.

My Dell came with a Realtek 8111E Network Card which was working fine. After a thunderstorm, I returned home and my Uverse Modem/Router was damaged and had to be replaced. Unfortunately, the ethernet on the computer is non functional and I'm forced to use the Dell's wireless in the meantime.

I removed the Realtek device ( as recommended) through device manager and rebooted expecting that the hardware would be detected and re-installed, but it wasn't. Now the device is missing from the Network category completely and I can't install drivers for it, which I also tried to do.

The network card is active in the Bios.

Please advise.

#2 ·
Sounds like the network card was damaged as well. Hopefully, that is the only item inside the computer which was affected.

If it's not recognized it's faulty. Hardware needs to be recognized by Windows before drivers become a factor.

If the card is removable (ie: physically removable), then replace it. Otherwise, you could simply get an addon card (if there are any internal slots available) or as a last resort, a USB type device.

#3 ·
NICs get affected by thunderstorms or lightning when there is a surge of power that directly passes on to the NIC card. Just because the card information is displayed in the BIOS it's not a confirmation that the card is working.

Try connecting the card back to the computer and connect a cable, are you seeing any lights on the NIC port ?

Sorry @JimE I had the post open for some time and didn't notice your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.