Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Newbie - How to fix wired internet connection problems?

This is a discussion on Newbie - How to fix wired internet connection problems? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys I would really be grateful if any of you could help me with the following problem. I'm sorry

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys I would really be grateful if any of you could help me with the following problem. I'm sorry if I've asked this in the wrong section.

I am a UK student living in student halls in France. I arrived a week and a half ago and I've had problems with the internet ever since I arrived. The connection here is via an ethernet cable.

When I arrived I had no internet but the welcome office assured me this was due to routine maintenance and the internet would be working the day after. My internet never started working so after a couple of days I went back and asked if I could try another cable. I tried this new cable but to no avail.

Therefore it seemed it was my computer that was the problem because everyone else in the building seemed to have a normal connection. To test this I invited a fellow student to plug the cable into their computer. As with me, their computer received no internet connection.

So I assumed it must be a problem with the connection in the room. I have called twice and the office has called on my behalf once to call out a technician but it is a voice-message service so I cannot be sure if anyone has received my problem/come to try to fix it.

What is interesting is that 4 days ago, I did get a connection to the internet via the cable which lasted about an hour before going again. The next day, I got another connection this time for about 30 minutes before stopping. The day after I had no connection all day and then yesterday I had a connection for about 5 hours until it went again. This morning I have woken to find no connection again. A couple of days ago I asked to try a 3rd cable just in case but the situation has remained the same: no internet connection!

At the moment I'm using an unreliable and slow unsecure free wifi connection kindly provided by a fellow student.

My question to you guys is: Is there anything at my end of things that might be preventing the internet working? Because clearly the connection in my room can work. Maybe there are settings on my computer I can change that are currently preventing a connection?

Thanks for any and all help and I will be happy provide any extra info that may help in solving the problem.

Edit: Just to add that I don't know who the ISP is as its a network connection. It's cable as I mentioned. My Anti-virus software is Avast!. I have now attached an ipconfig.txt to the post
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfig.txt (2.9 KB, 45 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Registered Member

I now realise that the ipconfig I attached was wrong. Here is the fixed ipconfig.
Attached Files
File Type: txt ipconfigFIXED.txt (3.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 09-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

You would really need to supply an ipconfig /all when wired but as a fellow student was also unable to get a connection, then the problem would seem to be with the student halls.

The fact that you can get a connection would suggest that your computer is fine, but to completely eliminate that as problematic - when the wired connection next goes down for you, see if other students are having similar problems and/or if your computer will connect in their rooms.
Closed Thread