Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Network Card Wakes Computer Unexpectedly, but I Still Want WoL

This is a discussion on Network Card Wakes Computer Unexpectedly, but I Still Want WoL within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble with my computer waking unexpectedly, and I'm hoping some of you can help me

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble with my computer waking unexpectedly, and I'm hoping some of you can help me out. The problem is pretty straightforward; whenever I put my computer to sleep, it wakes itself up about half an hour later (although the timing does not seem to be consistent). So far I have use the command "powercfg -lastwake" to identify the problem as my network adapter, which is an "Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260".

The simple fix would be to uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer" in the device manager. I have tried that, and it does indeed prevent my computer from waking unexpectedly. The problem is, I would actually like to use the wake on lan feature of my computer, and obviously this setting prevents me from waking my computer intentionally.

I have also tried setting my network card to "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer". With this setting I can wake my computer intentionally if I want, but the unexpected waking still happens.

I thought the problem might be that something else is sending magic packets to my computer so I downloaded and ran the program "Wake on LAN", which basically tells me when my computer receives a magic packet. Unfortunately, the only magic packets registered are ones that I send myself.

So it seems to me like only a magic packet should be able to wake my computer, but my computer does not receive any unexpected magic packets, but my computer wakes unexpectedly anyway. And that is the problem that brings me here. So can anyone offer any advice that might help me solve this problem? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2015, 05:31 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Networking Team |Tech

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Linux, Windows 7 Pro. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Have tried editing your power options, in control panel?

Open the control panel > power options > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > when the power options window pops up, expand the sleep category then disable wake timers.

CompTIA - A+, Security+
"There are two types of hard drives. A drive that has failed, and one that will.
Closed Thread