Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Network card and light stopped working

This is a discussion on Network card and light stopped working within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi can you please help? I turned on my Vista desktop computer and the network card has stopped working. It

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Hi can you please help?

I turned on my Vista desktop computer and the network card has stopped working. It worked last week, and I didn't have it on since then.

Today when I turned it on, the mouse wouldn't move, and the computer was frozen. Control Alt delete did nothing. So I manually restarted. I don't know if the network wasn't working at that time.

Then I saw the network was disconnected. I remembered I unplugged the network cord days ago to use for my other computer. I plugged it back in, but the network still wouldn't work, so I restarted again. No change.
  1. The network card light isn't on.
  2. I tried another cable.
  3. I don't have wifi
  4. The light on my router shows as orange instead of green.
  5. The system icon says im disconnected
  6. Device manager has a yellow alert icon for my Network adapter = "Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection"
  7. In the General tab it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31).
  8. Bios says NIC enabled
  9. I didn't install anything new when it stopped working.
  10. So now I installed a new driver, and this didn't fix it.
  11. I cant do a system restore because installing the new driver - replaced my last restore save.
  12. "ping 127.0.0.1" says 4 packets sent, 4 received
    CMD: "netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces" says

Idx Met MTU State Name
    --- --- ----- ----------- -------------------
    1 50 4294967295 connected Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
  13. The computer is old and I had a rootkit before, but it was working for years after that.
  14. I don't recall visiting any problematic websites the last time it was working.
  15. I went to websites I usually go to and I have ad block.
ipconfig /all
Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : name
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-(removed)
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Do I have a rootkit or is the card hardware bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

I just noticed the network card light isn't on when the comp is off. The light used to blink even when comp was off (while a network cord was plugged in).
Does that rule out a rootkit or software problem?

The Ethernet port is built into the motherboard.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

If the LED isn't lit when the ethernet cable is attached, the NIC is likely faulty.

Closed Thread