Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Network cable unplugged with working cable

This is a discussion on Network cable unplugged with working cable within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a brand new Optiplex 3020 by Dell that I went through and put XP pro sp3 on, the

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a brand new Optiplex 3020 by Dell that I went through and put XP pro sp3 on, the software we use still has XP requirements :\. Anyway, I had it all working before when it was a box with W7 on it. Now it cannot connect to the internet at all. I had to install drivers for the ethernet adapter to be recognized. I tried installing multiple drivers, most came in pairs with the prefixes of LOM or 3020 or 3011. However, it keeps telling me that a network cable is unplugged.

According to this sheet:
https://www0.sun.ac.za/itservices/Doc...Spec-Sheet.pdf
The computer has a realtek RTL8151GD adapter. I know I haven't tried every driver out there so throw some at me if you believe that's the issue.

I've tried using a different cables that for sure work and nothing is helping. I went through and ran "netsh reset winsock catalog", rebooted several times, and changed the network speed manually from the auto -> 1Gb -> 100Mb -> 10Mb all half+full duplex.

In this realtek diagnostic utility it says that 3-6 are mismatched:
https://i.imgur.com/mG9BkRC.png
I have no idea what this means, but I thought it could be useful.

Lastly, I understand that I could probably go back to Windows 7 and get it working. But I really need this to work on XP without a VM.

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015, 04:07 PM   #2
Registered Member

Can't figure out how to edit...

I have gone into the BIOS and changed around the settings on there pertaining to the NIC. I have the following options:
Disabled, Enabled, Enabled w/PXE, Enabled w/Cloud Desktop
and a separate option
Enable UEFI Network Stack (this is a checkbox)

I've tried every possible combination with no change.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Tried some more random things in different orders. Nothing that I haven't already gone through, just trying to daisy chain a solution out of sheer luck.

I'm probably just SoL?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

As it was working before the OS change, I doubt it's a BIOS setting. Most likely just a driver issue.

There is a sticky for how to manually find drivers located in the Driver board: https://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...rs-419050.html

Old 08-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Since Windows XP has already reached end of life, companies don't make drivers for it anymore. So if you have a new network card it's pretty unlikely that you will be able to get it to work on XP. You said on your post that you can't use XP with a VM, what is the reason for that? Because I think XP on a VM is your only option.
Closed Thread