Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

"Network Cable Unplugged" Sony Vaio All-in-One

This is a discussion on "Network Cable Unplugged" Sony Vaio All-in-One within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello forum. I'm pretty stuck here. Wondering if anyone has experience working with these things. I've been working on this

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello forum.
I'm pretty stuck here. Wondering if anyone has experience working with these things.
I've been working on this all-in-one for a customer. It's an LS21N. The customer's hard drive failed, and I replaced it. Installed a brand new copy of Windows 7 home from disc to a blank hard drive.
The only problem I've run into is that now that I've reassembled it with the new hard drive (and that's ALL that I replaced), it won't recognize that an ethernet cord is plugged into it. I tried two different ethernet cords, and tried different ports on my switch. I disassembled it again, and checked all the connections. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the ethernet adapter driver. It shows up in device manager, and reports no issues whatsoever. It's as if I simply don't have anything plugged into it.

I just hope that it's not a broken internal connection. The Sony Vaios have a shoddy casing around the internal wires.

Edit: The Adapter is a Marvel Yukon 88E8036 PCI-e fast ethernet controller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Probably not a driver issue if device manager is showing that it is operational. Do you see any link/activity lights when you plug in a working LAN connection?

Check to be sure that it is enabled in the BIOS, try booting with a Linux Live CD and see if you get network access.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

BIOS doesn't show me anything. It's one of those incredibly over-simplified BIOS with very few options.

The light situation is a strange one. There actually is no little indicator light on the ethernet port on the Vaio. The corresponding port indicator light on my switch is behaving erratically , though. It flashes green for a second, then turns orange, and then off, and then repeats a couple of seconds later.

I figured I'd try booted from my Hiren's boot USB stick, but (Murphy's law, I guess) it wouldn't recognize the USB outside of windows for some reason. The USB was first in the boot order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Registered Member

I figure it's the internal cable. Problem is I can't find a replacement part. If I could find the connectors somewhere, I think I could probably rig it up with wires from a typical CAT 5. Problem is, can't find the connectors. This was definitely not on the A+ exam.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
Registered Member

Dumb question did you look to see if you have it enabled
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

There was no switch on the outside of the case, if that's what you're talking about, and BIOS didn't contain a switch for it.

I finally called the customer and asked her if she used the ethernet port, and she said that she hadn't used an ethernet connection in years, if ever. She didn't care about it at all. So, I just got everything else where I wanted it to be, and returned it.

Pretty sure it was the internal wiring of the ethernet port, but..
Closed Thread