Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

network adapter missing

This is a discussion on network adapter missing within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This one has me baffled. I hope someone can help. First my system specs: Code: PC/Desktop self built OS Windows

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
Registered Member

This one has me baffled. I hope someone can help.
First my system specs:
Code:
PC/Desktop self built 
OS Windows 7 Ultimate 
CPU Intel core i5-2500k 
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 
Memory 8GB Patriot Signature PC3-12400 DDR3 
Graphics Card XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radion HD 6850 1GB 
Hard Drives Crucial 128GB M4 SSD Samsung 1TB green something or other 
PSU Corsair TX650 650W 80Plus-Bronze 
Case Bitfenix Outlaw 
Cooling Stock 
Internet Speed ~20mbps comcast cable (they say I get 80-100mbps) 
Sound Card On-board Realtek ALC889 
Monitor(s) Displays ASUS ASVS248HP 
Screen Resolution 1920x1080 
Keyboard Some random old HP ps/2 thing from an old computer. 
Mouse Some random wireless Microsoft mouse. Has a blue light. 
Antivirus Windows Security Essentials 
Browser Chrome, IE11, rarely FF.
Now a little background:
I recently bought a new CPU (core i7-3770k) which required an update to the BIOS. That caused some problems and I decided to do a clean install of my OS (W7Ultimate). Since then the system has been mildly problematic. I have not yet installed the new cpu, because I don't want to introduce another variable into the mix, wanted to get it working great then change the cpu.

So, I was just about there, when the other day the system wouldn't connect to the LAN. I tried trouble shooting the wiring, the router, the modem. Plugged in another computer (work laptop) and the LAN worked fine. So it was something with my desktop. I tried a couple of steps suggested on Windows.com to no avail. Most of them had me trying to disable and re-enable the network adapter, but here's the problem: the network adapter isn't there! When I go to device manager, the entire group for Network adapters is missing! I've tried rolling back my chipset drivers and my LAN drivers, neither of which did anything. Attached is a screenshot from my last attempt at trying to re-install the LAN drivers.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions here? Buy a new motherboard? Could this be a virus? I use MSE, and it has found nothing.

Thanks for any help...
KC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150624_10_00_13_Pro.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	240474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Hardware not listed in Windows is either disabled or faulty.

As you updated the BIOS, have you entered the BIOS and ensured everything is configured correctly? ie: used hardware is enabled, unused hardware is disabled, used hardware is configured properly for how it's used, etc.

EDIT: Also, is there any hardware listed in Device with alerts (ie: yellow ! or red x's)? And as this is also a fresh install of the OS, have you installed all of the motherboard/system/hardware drivers?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Jim, thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
Hardware not listed in Windows is either disabled or faulty.

As you updated the BIOS, have you entered the BIOS and ensured everything is configured correctly? ie: used hardware is enabled, unused hardware is disabled, used hardware is configured properly for how it's used, etc.
I have gone through the BIOS and reset it to my normal settings. Of note though, is that the system was working fairly well for several weeks since the BIOS flash and O/S clean install. The LAN problem just happened the other day out of the blue.
Quote:
EDIT: Also, is there any hardware listed in Device with alerts (ie: yellow ! or red x's)?
No abnormalities in the Device Manager list, that I noticed, other than the fact that the "network adapters" group is completely missing. When I get home from work this evening, I'll post another shot of the Dev.Mgr window.
Quote:
And as this is also a fresh install of the OS, have you installed all of the motherboard/system/hardware drivers?
Yes, I meticulously downloaded every individual driver from the mobo manufacturer's website and saved them all to a usb stick before doing the clean install. I then installed each driver and made sure each device was working before moving on. I then burned a backup system image. I have installed several things since then, so I'd prefer to not have to go back to that image. I'll save that as a last resort.

Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Please post a screenshot of Device Manager

How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Old 06-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Please post a screenshot of Device Manager
Yep, will do when I get home, ~7pm PDT.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

A couple shots of my device manager window... attached. :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150625_22_41_30_Pro.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	240546   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150625_22_41_48_Pro.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	240554  
Old 06-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

I tried loading "fail-safe defaults" in the BIOS, but it didn't help.
However re-setting the BIOS (battery removal) did help.
The system required a couple re-boots, but then the network came back.
The problem now is that the speed is very slow (~9 mbps to my home NAS, hardwired CAT5e via my router).

I didn't have another computer to connect to the LAN and compare, but my Surface Pro3 got around 20mbps over wifi.

I'll look into that as a separate issue though; first I'll check to see if the line is good, etc., with another computer. If not I'll post back to this thread.
Cheers...
Old 06-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Where did yo9u get the BIOS update? . . sounds like it might be shakey

Old 06-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rich View Post
Where did yo9u get the BIOS update? . . sounds like it might be shakey
From the Gigabyte website. They are not beyond publishing faulty firmware, but It's as legit as can be. It's not a home-grown bios or anything. I'm not really into overclocking or tweaking any more. I want stability! :)
Old 06-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #10
Registered Member

Well, I did some trouble-shooting. I started with my laptop next to the router; however first I had to reset the router as for some reason the line I chose to plug into locked up:
wifi speed: 160mbps check
wired speed: 350-400mpbs check
Went up to the office:
wifi speed ~130mbps check
wired speed ~200mbps check
So, I'm thinking the problem is with the LAN chip in my desktop PC. I plug the LAN line back into the desktop, and boot up. Network is there, and speed? Around 250mbps. ***? Dunno don't care. All seems to be well now. Maybe one more reset of the router did the trick, I don't know.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:47 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hope that did the trick!

Closed Thread