Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Need help connecting my desktop.

This is a discussion on Need help connecting my desktop. within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I need help connecting my desktop (which is in my room) to my router (in my living room). I

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I need help connecting my desktop (which is in my room) to my router (in my living room). I am considering a wireless adapter but idk if I'll get the great connection I had when I was using a wired Ethernet cord directly. I need the best way to connect with no problems ,because I stream my online games. Need the speed. Much thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw808 View Post
but idk if I'll get the great connection I had when I was using a wired Ethernet cord directly.
No, you won't. Wired is always best, especially for gaming.

You can buy extra long ethernet cables. If theres any way at all to hard wire it, thats what I'd do.

If you decide to go wireless, I hear good reports about these HomePlug powerline networking adaptors buying advice - PC Advisor

Submit New Articles Here

Help us to help you by posting your System Specs
Old 03-09-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Deejay is right on here; however, another approach is to go with the new 802.11ac routers/wifi adapters. They have 6-10 times the speed and signal of previous g/n wireless, and in some tests rival a corded ethernet connection, if you are at 60-80% (3-4 bars). Recorded speeds of around 130MBPS are possible, which is still too slow for Gaming, but, if you have a fractional T1 line coming into your home like a friend of mine does, it might work..It's gonna cost you $200-$300 to try this, so if your strapped for cash, run the ethernet cables under the edge of your carpeting or up through the attic; you can probably buy those for under $75.

BIGBEARJEDI
Closed Thread