Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

My PC stopped detecting my ethernet cable

This is a discussion on My PC stopped detecting my ethernet cable within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Tried the cable on my laptop and it worked so it is not the cable's fault. I have a router

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Angry

Tried the cable on my laptop and it worked so it is not the cable's fault. I have a router and each ethernet port shows a number it lights up when the internet is flowing through each a cable. oddly my pc's number lights up when the pc is turned off but when its turned on the light turns off as if it loses connection to the internet! what the hell is going on? is my ethernet port fried? or is it something else??? its driving me nuts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Has your PC got a wireless connection device installed also?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
TSF Emeritus

You try a different cable? Has anything else changed like getting hit with malware/virus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
Registered Member

no to both questionsth
Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

There is no way to answer any of this without knowing make and model of laptop, router or modem and isp.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have a Dell XPS desktop and my router is Netgear, Modem is VisionNet and theyre all working exept the port of ethernet on my PC. I am now using internet on that PC thanks to a USB to ethernet cable I bought.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Please post a screenshot of Device Manager with the Network Adaptor group expanded. . see the link in my signature for how.

How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Old 08-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gween2 View Post
I have a Dell XPS desktop and my router is Netgear, Modem is VisionNet and theyre all working exept the port of ethernet on my PC. I am now using internet on that PC thanks to a USB to ethernet cable I bought.
please post the specific model numbers so we know exactly what we are dealing with. there may be known issues.

did you open the case to make sure all cables and cards are secure and dust free? did you try a powercycle with your router and modem?