Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

My network cable randomly dies

This is a discussion on My network cable randomly dies within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is there any way that the network cable going from my wall port to my router can randomly short out

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is there any way that the network cable going from my wall port to my router can randomly short out or something? Every now and then the connection is just lost. I have switched the cable to the second wall port, but the connection doesn't come back until it just randomly pops up later. My cable is no defective as I have used it from my router to my pc and the light on my router hasn't gone out still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
TSF Emeritus

Welcome to TSF!

Since you mention wall outlets this would indicate all wiring goes to a punch down block. From this block would be a patch cable going to the router.

You want to identify what port in the router this wall socket is connected to. Next time you lose connection look at that port. No lights on at that port would indicate a break in wiring.

It could be at the wall ports or at the patch panel. You would buy a punchdown tool and repunch these wires into the the wall outlet and the patch panel.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
using Windows Workgroup/issue with network when switching from DSL to cable serv
We currently have AT&T DSL internet service (as well as phone service) at our office and recently decided to switch Comcast for the internet portion to get a faster speed. Our computers are all Windows based (mostly Windows 7 machines but also a couple Windows 8) and are connected via a...
drutko Networking Support 3 01-17-2014 01:58 PM
farbar
I have tried nearly everything and can't find the program to get rid of this Ice virus I downloaded farbar and tried it with these results Please help Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST.txt) (x64) Version: 25-06-2013 02 Ran by SYSTEM on 26-06-2013 09:31:13 Running from F:\...
kick-4 Resolved HJT Threads 29 07-08-2013 09:10 PM
Rootkit Zero Access Trojan / Virus
System Dell Duo inspiron 1090 Windows 7 Home Premium Machine has been infected by above mentioned virus this was deduced by running task manager and the top process read something 778686798.123456.exe then browsing google to see what I could find it couldn't be stopped and it has disabled all virus...
bigfoot57 Resolved HJT Threads 78 11-30-2011 02:31 PM
Getting no ethernet cable connected even though network card works
I can't get my network card to work when plugged into the modem. The computer detects it and all but I can't get it to detect the lan cable, and the card doesn't light up. At first I thought maybe the cord port was jacked but I was messing around with it and at one point my laptop and the...
LaymanX Networking Support 16 06-21-2011 02:12 PM