Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

"Missing wireless adapter and broken usb ports

This is a discussion on "Missing wireless adapter and broken usb ports within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I have researched for the past two months on how to fix these issues on google with no luck.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Hello. I have researched for the past two months on how to fix these issues on google with no luck. I have windows 8 on an asus laptop. My computer randomly stopped connecting to the internet. It shows a computer with a red box that says no connections available whenever I click on wireless options. I have tried hard restarting it and system restoring to a point but it won't let me do that because it says i am missing a required driver. I have tried going in safe mode and many many other things. I bought a wireless usb adapter which worked for awhile until one day, my usb ports stopped working. in device manager under properties, it shows the drivers are not installed for the usb ports. i tried uninstalling and restarting the computer with no luck. Everyone says to reinstall them using the internet, which i cannot do due to my first issue. I do not have the money to get it taken in and fixed right now so I am desperate for other options right now. Currently writing this on a friends computer. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

The best thing to do is get a flash drive and use your friends computer to go to the Asus support website. Search for your model laptop and go to the drivers section.

You'll want to download the appropriate wireless network drivers for your model and save them to the flash drive. Look for and save the Chipset drivers, too. The chipset drivers should contain any drivers needed to get your USB ports working again. Try installing those drivers and see how you make out.

Do you have a wired network connection on your laptop? If you do, you might be able to plug right into a router and get online.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello!
Thank you for the suggestions! I would try to download the drivers and transfer them via usb/flash drive. But i will not be able to plug in the flash drive because the usb ports are broken and will not recognize anything. I have tried connecting using ethernet, it did not work. Pretty sure my motherboard is crashing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

Sorry, what a dummy I am, . Does your laptop have a cd drive so you could burn the drivers to disc?

What happens when you plug in a wired network connection, and does the wired network card appear to have the drivers installed in Device Manager?

Also, just to make sure.... Any chance you've turned your wireless network card off, accidentally? There is usually a switch somewhere around the case or a combination of keys - maybe FN+F5 - which toggles the wireless card on and off.

One last resort I can think of is to remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer using a USB adapter kit. Then you could download the drivers to your hard drive directly and re-install it into your laptop.