Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Losing WiFi when PC goes to sleep

This is a discussion on Losing WiFi when PC goes to sleep within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Until recently I have always used a network cable to connect to my router but now I need to use

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Until recently I have always used a network cable to connect to my router but now I need to use WiFi and it works fine till the PC goes to sleep.
I am using Windows 10 and I have the latest driver for my WiFi card. This is a separate card as the Motherboard does not have built in WiFi.
I have set the power to stay on for the network card and also the PCi slot during sleep but I still lose the WiFi network every time the PC goes to sleep. The WiFi card disappears from my device list and the only way I can get it back is to shut down and completely remove the power from the PC for at least 10 mins. I have even shut down the ethernet port but that also didn't help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I'd go back and check all the steps used in setting up your Router,

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

If wifi doesn't automatically connects after seep then you need to change some settings using Device Manager.

1. Open Device Manager using, Windows key+R and in the run dialog box. type"devmgmt.msc". (without "")
2. Now, Go to Wifi driver under Network Adapters.
Rt click on wifi drivers and select properties.
3. Here, switch to Power Management tab and uncheck the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

I already have unchecked the box in power management for both the wifi and the PCi slot. As for setting up the router it is a BT Hub 4 and didn't need anything setting up on it, I just connected to BT socket in the wall and then connected to it with wifi and worked fine till the PC sleeps.
Old 08-28-2019, 05:53 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by feenalauren View Post
If wifi doesn't automatically connects after seep then you need to change some settings using Device Manager.

1. Open Device Manager using, Windows key+R and in the run dialog box. type"devmgmt.msc". (without "")
2. Now, Go to Wifi driver under Network Adapters.
Rt click on wifi drivers and select properties.
3. Here, switch to Power Management tab and uncheck the option Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK.
In same place, go to Advanced>Wake On Settings>Choose Operating System Controlled.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Registered Member

I do not have that option but surely this is to allow the PC to be woken from a sleep state which is not what I need to do. Quite happy for the PC to remain asleep till I physically wake it but when it does wake it still needs to know about the wifi card. It isn't just the connection that drops but it is totally oblivious to the wifi card being installed once it has been asleep.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

What's the make and model of the WiFi adapter? It's possible you're dealing with a defective one. I suggest you contact the manufacturer since its a new card (under warranty?).
Old 08-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN

I will try to borrow a different card to see what happens.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:37 AM   #9
Registered Member

For what it's worth I recently changed to a USB WiFi Adapter (Netgear A7000) and noticed the same thing.
I'm using Windows 7 Pro, 32 bit PC.
It doesn't matter whether I connect the Adapter to a USB 3 hub that's connected to a PCI Express card or directly to the PC's USB 2 port, in Sleep Mode the Adapter turns off (though I noticed the USB3 hub is still live).

Anyway I'm happy with it behaving that way, just thought I'd throw my bit in.
Could it be a bios thing.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:30 AM   #10
Registered Member

I have tried a USB WiFi and once I changed power settings to USB Root Hub that works fine. I haven't been able to find another PCi WiFi card to try but I have noticed that I can see the driver for the PCi card after it has been asleep but I have to show hidden drivers. It says the device isn't connected and have to remove the power from the PC to get it back. Hoping to try my card in another PC shortly.
Closed Thread