Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Looking for a bit of guidance on some wiring I'm helping a friend with at his new sto

This is a discussion on Looking for a bit of guidance on some wiring I'm helping a friend with at his new sto within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A friend of mine is opening a business and asked if I could lend a hand doing some wiring for

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Registered Member

A friend of mine is opening a business and asked if I could lend a hand doing some wiring for ethernet and telephones. I work with ethernet all the time so that's no problem for me, but I'm a little foggy with the phone wiring.

We're installing a few wall jacks around the store which will have either two ethernet jacks or an ethernet and telephone jack. For the phones, the wiring that has already been ran for him contains 4 single wires within it: black, red, white and silver metal without shielding. The telephone jacks that we have for the phones are 6 position 4 conductor. At the back of the store Bell has ran a 25 pair (if I recall correctly) cable to a BIX [1] . The only thing patched into the BIX is a wall jack that has two wires punched into pins 3 and 4 on it.

My questions are:

How do I know which pins on the BIX that I punch the 4-conductor cabling into, and the layout for connecting the 6p4c wall jack)

One of the wall jacks has two ethernet cables ran to it. How do I use one of those ethernet cables for telephones (using the 6p4c wall jack and punching down at the BIX)?

I have been watching a bunch of youtube videos and checking out directions on it, but it seems that there's a few different ways to do this so clarification is really what I'm looking for.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Using ethernet cabling for phone is the same as using standard 2- or 4-pair CAT3.

If you don't have a butt set or a test jack at the main block, you need to punch a pair of wires into a test jack to determine which pairs carry your phone signal (you'll need an actual phone to test this; an analog phone is best). Once you know which pairs are the right ones, pick a color pair in your outgoing wire and use that. Normally the first line will use the red and green wires, while the second line would typically be black and yellow. With 4-pair CAT5, pick any pair you like, but be consistent or the next person to come along and do work on the wiring will want to murder you.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! One more follow-up question please. There's a tag hanging from the panel which have three phone numbers labelled BP1) 5656, 2) 5655, and 3) 5858. [This is the patch panel where the Bell line comes in](https://i.imgur.com/Yk40zEH.jpg). Off this panel there are two wires going to a wall jack (https://i.imgur.com/ZaHKSA8.jpg) with the number 5655 labelled on it. I have wired all the phone wall jacks with a 6p6c cat3 jack (https://i.imgur.com/qVpOSmA.jpg), using ethernet cable White/Orange, Blue, White/Blue, Orange on pins 2, 3, 4, 5.

I assume I need to take all the White/Orange, Orange pairs from each telephone line and punch it into the block for line one, and punch all the Blue, White/Blue pairs to the block for line two. Punch a line down for the fax (White/Orange, Orange from the dedicated fax jack). I'm just not sure where on the block I'm actually supposed to punch the pairs down to for the two phone lines, fax and dsl. Any and all help appreciated.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

If you're running all the lines back to the Bell block, you will probably need a secondary 110 punch block. Then run the line pairs to it, and jumper from that to as many sections as you need lines. Your block isn't designed to have numerous lines running from a single wire pair.

You're looking for something like this: Telephone Punch Block 66B4 25 | eBay

Closed Thread