Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Large Cabling Project

This is a discussion on Large Cabling Project within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. good day to all TEch supporter. I am currently working and studying on a possiblity ofa large networking project. I

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

Smile

good day to all TEch supporter.

I am currently working and studying on a possiblity ofa large networking project.
I have dealth with basic networking in the past, but not this complexity.

I will be needing to wire a new office building. And I am hoping to get some tips and suggestion to all of you,.

I have two wiring diagram at the moments, not sure which one will work best.
Please pardon my sketch. :)

[IMG][/IMG]

I will be needing to run 8 to 12 switch of 48-port each.
The farthest switch could reach around 90meters - 95meters.
I am leaning on a gigabit switch from Linksys.

What specific switch will perform well? Brand? ports?
What is the best cabling method to connect all 8(or more) switch? cat5/cat6? fiber optic?
Can a single DSL line capable to supply all switch for internet connectivity?
any suggestions on the wiring?
What is the best switch that can handle large connected switches? (i.e 15-20 switches)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

I would suggest avoiding consumer switches such as Linksys. I prefer HP ProCurve switches, but the Dell PowerConnect line are decent as well.

Interconnecting the switches can be done by creating trunks. Any decent managed switch will support some manner of port trunking.

You can provide Internet connectivity using a single DSL line, but with the number of ports you're talking about you're likely to run into major bottlenecks if any significant percentage of them will be in use simultaneously.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestion sir Fjandr, noted on the switches,

do you have any resources or diagram that we can use as a reference for the same network load?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
TSF Emeritus

Your first diagram is the correct one to use not the second. Both are incorrect having the dsl going to the switch. Dsl goes to a router then the backbone switch. That 24 port switch needs to be a top of the line with a 10GBe backbone. You show no servers but the servers should be plugged into this 24 port switch. It would be bad design to hang a server off one of the 48 port switches. You should be doing trunking between the 48 and 24 port switches. That will use 16 ports [two per 48 port switch] on the 24port switch. Might want to consider a 48 port switch as the backbone since this will only leave you 8 available ports.
Closed Thread