Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Laptop wireless card and my PC wireless card.

This is a discussion on Laptop wireless card and my PC wireless card. within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The wireless card on my 2 year old laptop is capable of picking up 2 wireless networks bar my own

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

The wireless card on my 2 year old laptop is capable of picking up 2 wireless networks bar my own and has always got full signal showing and when testing my speed on speedtest.net, always gives me my maximum speed.

On the other hand, the wireless card on my almost new PC can only find my network and varies between 2-4 bars of connection and never 5 and am sometimes lucky to get 1/10th of my usual speed.

Is there any reason for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hello JamesBwoiim,

From the problematic wireless computer pls. install and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.
Click on the 'Show Networks' to display all wireless networks on the xirrus icon on your desktop of if you have one running in a corner. Tap the Printscreen key on your keyboard, open up Paint then choose Edit from the Menu and select Paste, then SAVE it. Upload and attached it here, click on Go Advanced and locate Manage Attachments Tab and attached the file.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
Registered Member

I was confused as to how to upload a photo here, so I uploaded it to imgur, I hopt that's OK.

https://i.imgur.com/pkKvW.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

The signal is not very good, see if changing the Channel to 1 or 11 helps, currently you're on Channel 6. If that didn't help at all, next thing to do is, replace your Wi-Fi Adapter with High-Gain Antenna.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

I tried changing the channel, it made no difference. Do you mean the adapter on my router or PC?
Old 02-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #6
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

There are High gain Antenna for your router that you may buy or you can get a Wi-Fi with High Gain antenna for your computer.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Registered Member

Ok, I'll look into that.

I was also wondering though, does this mean my laptop has a better wireless card than my PC?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
2xg
TSF Team, Emeritus

Seems like it.
Quote:
I was also wondering though, does this mean my laptop has a better wireless card than my PC?
Closed Thread