Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Networking Forum > Cabling and Network Cards

User Tag List

Is there a limitation on where a cable socket can be installed?

This is a discussion on Is there a limitation on where a cable socket can be installed? within the Cabling and Network Cards forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I live in Australia so I am very fortunate to be able to get cable internet. I have no clue

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

I live in Australia so I am very fortunate to be able to get cable internet. I have no clue when it comes to things like this, and I want to make sure so I don't waste my time and I can plan on a step B if this doesn't work. Also, sorry if this is the wrong section, I've had trouble finding a forum with a suitable section for this, this is the best I could get.

I asked my ISP this question but they gave me a very vague answer. I would call them back but the queue is long and I don't have time.

I am moving into a house that is quite high up, large and double brick, with my room being at the back. I want to get a cable socket in my room so I can have ethernet, but would I be able to? What things could possibly get in the way of that? Distance? Height? Structure? etc. I've never had a problem installing a phone socket for ADSL2+, but I don't know how cable works.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Cable is no different. The only limitation, as with any cabling, is access to run the cable.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #3
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Microsoft Support

As Jim said, running cable around or drilling through brick may be your biggest obstacle. Your other main considerations are local building or fire codes for running low voltage wiring.

All CAT 5 wiring should be home runs - wire that starts at your origin (router/modem) and ends at the point you want to install an ethernet jack. Each run should be no more than about 328 feet/100M.

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
adapter problem driver is not installed
Hi all I recently installed windows XP on my Dell Latitude D400 but when I run the following network driver : Drivers and Downloads I get the message after it installs: adapter problem driver is not installed If I go to Accessories>>System Information and to Adapters here is the...
MicroNewbie Networking Support 3 04-10-2011 05:02 AM
IDE Channel 1 no 80 Conductor Cable Installed
*Sigh* Hello guys and gals. I'm having an odd issue with my computer. The other day I unplugged it and took it outside and blew it out with the vacuum cleaner to banish all of the dust that has accrued over the last few months. (My house is apparently built out of dust...) Anyway, I brought...
Mythrander101 Motherboards, Bios & CPU 1 02-25-2011 12:08 PM
[SOLVED] Installed Win 7 - Case become loud
Hi all. I know that im profoundly deaf but im really not happy with my PC as i installed Win 7 and the noise started to raise since extracting windows installion and thought it will be gone as when Win7 loads but since win7 start. the case begin to get loud and loud. I can feel the heavy...
CrazyComputerMan Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 9 02-24-2011 01:52 PM
error from upgradation to oel 6 from oel5_6
--> Missing Dependency: libiso9660.so.5()(64bit) is needed by package xine-lib-1.1.19-2.el5.rf.x86_64 (installed) java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-devel-1.4.2.0-40jpp.115.i386 from installed has depsolving problems --> Missing Dependency: python(abi) = 2.4 is needed by package...
csayantan Linux Support 1 02-20-2011 09:04 PM
DirectX Error [moved from Vista/7]
I've been told to run dxdiag, but when I do it says Error: Could not load dxdiagn.dll I've also downloaded DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer. However, when I attempt to install direct x, this appears: An internal system error occured. Please refer to DXerror.log and DirectX.log in...
eiliant BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 1 02-07-2011 01:29 AM